The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying a spot of striped bass fishing in New England this summer and was wondering if anyone has any views on a decent travel rod for under 80 quid that will fit in the suitcase.
I'm thinking of something with a fast action around 8ft, capable of handling decent fish but still capable of presenting softies and be usable back home for our 'little' bass :wink:

I'm probably asking a lot but my 8ft6 Bushwhacker has served me incredibly well over the last year so I was thinking of something similar but with maybe a little bit more backbone...

·
Registered
849 Posts
actually thinking about it why not buy something out there?

Probably much cheaper and more suitable for you.

Last time I was in the states I came back with 4 Sage fly rods in my suitcase. Half the cost of buying them over here...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Got to agree with chad, i have a few travel rods including an exage (ok but not really a plugging rod) and a speedmaster which are around £120 now i think (which is better)
Neither of these would be a shade on what you could get in the states for £60/$100 and most airlines will charge at the most £20 for sports equipment to bring it back. so for the same money you could have a much nicer piece of kit thats much more suited to the job in hand.
Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Good point Chad - never thought of that - any suggestions for good US sites so I can check out whats available/prices etc.?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mark, the two big on-line/nationwide shops over there are Cabelas and BassPro but there will probably be others closer to where you are going but they should give you a idea and I suppose you could always order from them and get it delivered to where you are going.;-) That said if there is one of there stores nearby you got to go and check it out, they are huge basically a supermarket full of fishing and hunting gear.:shock:

http://www.basspro.com/homepage.html

http://www.cabelas.com/

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark,
Worth remembering that most striper plugs run between 1-3oz. So a trip to a local fishing tackle shop out there might be the best bet.

So where and when are you going-Stripers Rock!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks lads - I've had a look at the sites posted and there are certainly bargains to be had - I may well wait until I get there.
Dave/Sam - we are going to Cape Cod probably 2nd/3rd week in August - we haven't yet decided exactly where (Mrs Mc has the final say :wink: ).
I would be interested to hear about your experiences and any pointers are always be welcome.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts