The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right lads the word bumble...whats the story with it where did it come in to fishing we aint got bumbles in Ireland...... is it a Jersy thing or U.k orientated or even a Welsh thing........

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Barry, it came from **** Ward in Jersey and I am sure someone will post his comments on it, it is quite simply a way of enjoying yourself with great company, sharing of ideas and having a great time with no pressure to catch :p

PS, Good banter and P*ss taking are a must at any Bumble :wink:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve gets a few things cleared up........

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Barry, it came from **** Ward in Jersey and I am sure someone will post his comments on it, it is quite simply a way of enjoying yourself with great company, sharing of ideas and having a great time with no pressure to catch :p

PS, Good banter and P*ss taking are a must at any Bumble :wink:
The use of the word "Knob" in every other sentence is mandatory:p

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Bumbling
Some lure anglers refer to bumbling or a bumble sometimes. For those of you that dont know what it means it comes from a post on another forum that I wrote, and the term has become the name for a group of like minded lure anglers meeting up and enjoying a days good company and fishing, regardless of the results. The result in my original post was that Bob and me went out the next day and Bob caught a 10lb bass off the top.
---------------------------------------------------------

Bumbling

---------------------------------------------------------

Now with all the amazing posts and info that has come to light recently I feel I should contribute in a way myself. Now with no disrespect to anyone here, and all that know me know I have the upmost respect for every true angler I meet, I feel the need to tell you of my secret. I call it "bumbling". It is an art form, that I feel, comes to those of us that indulged in things when we were younger that rotted our brain cells and have made memorising things that little bit harder.

I was the kid that swung on his chair and looked out the class room window, wondering how far the tide had gone out, if the crab traps had some crab in them and generally longed for the weekend. So, in adult life I now suffer from no exam results to fall back on and have had to bumble through life making the things I want to happen, happen. So what does this mean in fishing terms? Well I too have fished the club level thing, match angling against my elders that I respected as a youngster, to the point in 1999 when I became club champion, and then I realised something. No matter how much I tried to work fish out, the little fatherless creatures that they are still dont play by the rules all the time. You can look at the features, you can look at the conditions and times of year, and yet so often catching fish always came down to time spent fishing. All my theories and findings would be blown away on days and times that I would have put money on catching.

Therefore, in the autumn days of my life, I find myself once again bumbling, just as I did when I was younger. Fishing is what it is, its in the tital. Now you can take it for what it is, a way to escape, a way to relax near the sea and take in your surroundings and your mates company. If you choose to study it, and try to hone the points sharper to give yourself more of a chance of catching some fish then fair play to you, its your time, your passtime and your passion, you take it to what ever level you want.

Me? I like fishing, even if I dont catch anything, I just pure and simply enjoy everything about it, the enviroment, the tackle, the craic. So when it comes to fishing, I just bumble along, if it looks fishy I will throw a line at it, I mean it would be rude not to! Yes we all pick up tips from each other, and love to hear of other peoples successes, but I find its pointless chasing other peoples fish, as they have been caught and the memories are theirs, so make your own memories and enjoy the time you spend with your fishing buddies, because when they are gone that is all you will have.

So to become a bumbler you need a certain mind set, you need to want to go fishing because you love it, not to prove anything to anyone except the satifaction to yourself that you enjoyed it. You need to spend as much or as little time on the water as you feel fits in with your life and other commitments. You need to think like a fish, and when the plan all comes together be happy and be proud that you sussed that one out. You need to throw your bit of plastic or bait at every single peice of ocean you can, if you want to try and make some kind of pattern out of it so be it, but with the law of bumbling odds at some point a big fish has to grab it.

As for me, I am going bumbling with my mate Bob tomorrow morning, I do hope we catch a few, I hear there are some fish around our favourite tower, maybe we will make it there, maybe we will find some fishy spots on the way, either way I will enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great reading that again ****, in Wales it's now a way of life :p

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Blimey! Just about sums it up for me!

Nice one ****.

·
Registered
150 Posts