The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you like me who have never purchased lures etc online from Japan but are considering doing so, you may find this useful. http://seawayfishing.info/home/2010/07/04/buying-japanese-lures-online/. I know the guy's in Australia but i thought the sites were useful.

I've read a few comments on the forum from members about doing just this and the import tax to the UK seems to be high with Parcelforce? Or is it the same deal with Fedex? Sorry if people have been over this but i did a search on here and couldn't find the facts.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
For those of you like me who have never purchased lures etc online from Japan but are considering doing so, you may find this useful. http://seawayfishing.info/home/2010/07/04/buying-japanese-lures-online/. I know the guy's in Australia but i thought the sites were useful.

I've read a few comments on the forum from members about doing just this and the import tax to the UK seems to be high with Parcelforce? Or is it the same deal with Fedex? Sorry if people have been over this but i did a search on here and couldn't find the facts.
The import tax, or only the VAT in most cases, is exactly the same whichever forwarder you are using. The only thing that differs slightly is the admin fee the various vendors charges in order to collect the VAT on behalf of HMRC.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another thing for you to bear in mind Martin, is the total value of what you buy. Most of the stuff fedex, DHL, the post office etc all deal with is low value goods. If you go spending hundreds of pounds in one hit. Maybe in an attempt to save on overall postage / shipping costs, then you could well be lining yourself up to pay Duty on your goods too. Below a certain amount (and I no longer know the up to date figures), C&E tend to waive he duty as the amounts are often just pennies. However, if you go ordering a load of gear only to find out that you have to pay Duty too, then the cost for you - as far as HMC&E are concerned is going to be sigificantly higher. Its worked out for their calculations as follows:-

Invoice value + duty = "X"
VAT payable = 17.5% of "X"

And thats just ordinary import duty. It is possible, when buying from the far east that you could be liable to Anti Dumping Duty too. This isn't quite as it sounds. It's set up to prevent the UK market being flooded with overly cheap goods and putting UK (and probably EC manufacturers too now) manufacturers out of business because they can't afford to compete.
Hence why that £100 pair of Timberland's that you own only cost about £12 to £16 when they came into the country!

If you ae going to buy lots, then I would advise ordering arund Mid November. Then ask your supplier to label the goods "Christmas Gifts". Hoepfully then, you'l get away with it and any customs clearance costs will be kept to a minimum for you.

Good luck with it mate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
www.tsurishopjapan.com have always provided me with excellent service. Once bought a lure and it arrived from Japan to my door in just 3 days! Postage was only about £3.50 aswel. I think the owner of the website is english, as he wrote me an email thanking me as he read a reccomendation I gave someone when he was reading the World Sea Fishing forums

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I've ordered stacks of stuff over the years from Japan, USA etc..

Well worth the hassle if you are spending big bucks.

Import duties, taxes aside, still way cheaper and more choice than available in Great Britain.

We especially did this with top end fly rods at $600 a pop. UK stores wanted £650 for the same thing and, over a period of years exchange rates were 1.65 -1.72 when we were buying in these rods. That is a huge difference and simply cannot be justified by anyone.

$600 or
£650 @ 1.65 = $1072.5

At £250 cheaper, buy 2 and that's £500. Take away £50 carriage and maybe some duty.
Still a no brainer.

Still common practice today no matter whether USA or Japan.

We did this with our original VS's too.

Paying a little more to support your tackle dealer is fine. Getting ripped senseless is NOT fine.
make your own choice but I won't pay stupid money for stuff that is as easy as a few clicks to buy in from other countries nowadays.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sorry to hijack an old thread, thought it might be better to reply here than start another thread.

Last week I ordered three lures that I couldn't find in the UK, from oriental angler. I got tracking information and the order appears as "Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner" with Parcel Force in Coventry.

Am I about to get screwed over with fees or do they always go through thee when its an internation order. I have a feeling it's the former. The order value is just sub £50 but I think I've just been unlucky.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Pete.
Sounds to me like the goods are going to entered to customs. I would expect to now be facing the charge from parcelforce for preparing and presenting the customs entry, the VAT payable on the purchase price (I dont reckon you'l pay duty on such a low value), vat on the customs entry charge (its a "service", therefore VAT-able).

HAve a look thru this link. You may be in a position to apply for a "low value entry" (if such a thing still exists - not been doing the job since 2001). http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/index.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts