The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was destined. My bezzee mate Russ was off work for a summer hols break and I'd a lull between shifts. Tides were poor but hey, ho, tis good to boat...

Out of Port Erin to the Sker (only about a 3 minute cruise)

On arrival, on initial contact, there was a feeding frenzy....
Myself, I was a bit dazed from the 4 (ahem) pints last night so didn't connect properly with the first 2 hits. 3rd cast I lost a 4" xlayer (the pain!) due to general imcompetence and forests of Kelp. Got myself dialled in at last, put on a 7g version of THIS slider jighead and nailed the next one, a good Callig, probably 4lb, I got it to the surface after a few crash dives and it was gone, reels in and the hook was bent out. (count to 10 slowly...)(agghhh!!!!)(metalurgical incompetence) Next cast, same set-up, back over the head, flick forward and 7g jighead clocks me in the back of the head... Huh? the Firefly was no more! RIP my love.... My beloved Firefly is no more, broken below the spiggot!
(oh no! new rod required)!!!!!!

With the the significant fish having spooked at The Sker we made a move on.

Fantastic terrain. Sorry about the rubbish camera phone...
North for a change this time, we kept on until just below Lhag ny Killey (Hollow of the Church)(a spot where some nutty old hermit called home 300 years ago) on the west coast.
We've never really had much luck up this way and it was a pleasant suprise to find a reef that was full of hungry fellas. 150 ft cliffs dropping off into 50ft of water, t
he Sneaky Worms combined with a 6g football jighead were supreme over the next half hour. The bites slowed as the tide dropped and the wind increased so a quick change was made. On with a 14g Barbarian jighead and a swim senko and the lures were up to speed again.

The constant wind was starting to be a naus by this time, so when so when we found a sheltered spot just South of Fleshwick we were well chuffed. Just 20 yards out of the sloppy weather, we found a spot, no tidal v wind battle and Callig aplenty. We were literally getting a fish every cast for the first ten casts. Almost every fish was 2-2.5 lb. Best fish of the day was this one:

5LB 2oz,Yamamoto swim senko, 14g jig.
The boat didn't move for about an hour and the fish were thick and fast. I wish i could report that lures won the day but after 7 hrs we think the score was 15-20 ish lures-bait(frozen sandeel)
it was a great day out, It's been very poor on the Shift/weather/shift variability factor this year . Laa yndysagh!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nice report Tim

Gutted for you about the rod, was it the butt section that broke???? If so we can co own a whole rod ;-)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tim, nice report and pleased to hear you got out to snag a few. RIP The Firefly - I've only just started to appreciate mine and they are great and sadly discontinued! Hope you find a replacement soon.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Brilliant report Tim :clap:, and very impressed that you managed to make it so coherant last night ;).

As for the Firefly . . . . oh well . . . . new rod time :wackit:.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea why it broke Jez. Same lure same cast as the 10 before...

The light is a bit too bright this morning Si :-x

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The light is a bit too bright this morning... :-x
Tim you're my hero! Not surprised it took you 4 hours to write it, great report!

Bad luck with the rod mate, I share your pain at the moment as my little red baby is still at the mercy of airport baggage handlers....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts