The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hands are up and I confess today I practiced C&R, or should I say "Cooked according to Recipe". Well there's no point saying I put a couple of stunning fish back when I didn't, they are destined for my table for a dinner party. But have to say I did feel terrible when the 'sherrif of Nottingham and Guy Gibson" snook up on me and Clive in their Rib and caught us cleaning the fish on the pontoon. Caught red handed, and as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo.

Must say in all honesty I do take fish for the pan, as also the occassional rabbit when I go shooting its something I have always done. I love the whole hunter provider thing, but since being on the forum I do feel more pressurised to put all my catch back. This year I have probably taken about seven fish for the table including the two today, but what is a acceptable amount to keep a year? I don't feel too guilty though as I'd never kill anything unless I was going to eat it.

Also if the Sherrif of Nottingham wants to judge me, well its like him being a gun dealer and selling me a AK47 and being surprised if I go out and shoot some-one.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't see the harm in keeping your catch! Its a personal thing and for nobody else to say what you should or shouldn't do with your fish. I personally don't keep them anymore but I have kept 5 fish this year for my mum. I do feel guilty keeping them and also find that when I catch and kill I seem to go on a blanking spree!

But you shouldn't feel pressure from anyone mate.

Well done aswel for getting some fish!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hey Paul - no need to feel pressurized!

I put 99.99999999999999% of mine back BUT got a punch in the arm for not keeping any in Ireland as they wanted a couple for a BBQ!

I guess within reason - or stick to the rules like Ireland - take two in any 24hrs and make sure they are big enough to breed but not massive lunkers!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guy, but I know I'm going to get a hard time because it was **** and Bob who caught us.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was funny though as my friend who was fishing with me kept two as well and was really proud to show them off to **** and Bob, and I was trying to stash mine in a bag.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Paul

You murdering bass person you.

Look I take an occasional fish for the table & I still feel guilt, regret & remorse about the situation once I have knocked the fish on the head. But I really only keep the fish that are deeply hooked or don't revive to swim off strongly.

So I will go to heaven but you may not :wink:

Just use a bit of common sense & no one will object. Yes catch & release is gaining support but the trouble is that most fish are too tasty & too expensive at the fishmongers. If you do keep one or two make sure they are in the say 3.5lb to 5lb range & release the ones over & below this size.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Jamo ,:rofl: The look on your face when we came in was a picture :-o, like a guilty kid getting caught nicking sweets from a shop!!! we thought you were going to kick them bass onto the steps behind you ?

Dont worry about it we all take fish for the table at some time ,

Oh yeah how big was the best one you knocked on the bonce 7lb wasn't it .... you bad boy even you can't eat 3 shredded wheat

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Jamo,
Do what you like, as long as it's legal, and doesn't involve womens clothing!!

Seriously Jamo, I doubt any member of this board would begrudge you a couple of bass for dinner.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know **** and Bob won't judge me, but it was the two guys I really didn't want to see me taking fish. But have to say I saw Bob in the cake shop the other day and I didn't judge him, lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jamo ,:rofl: The look on your face when we came in was a picture :-o, like a guilty kid getting caught nicking sweets from a shop!!! we thought you were going to kick them bass onto the steps behind you ?

Dont worry about it we all take fish for the table at some time ,
I know Bob, but I had to get in before you guys. We did sloosh the pontoon as well.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just do like i do when i keep one. Think of the thousands of tons caught by pair trawlers when there ready to breed, makes you realise the odd ones for the table are going to make little difference in the big picture. Its still a great feeling when you do watch one swim off though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
2fish and one 7lbs !some dinner party, was it an ann summers do, dont know how you sleep at night m8 LOL

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Naughty Jamo !!! :eek:
;-)
No-one's gonna give any grief for a couple of fish, it's the drongos who take everything they catch that wind people up.

Enjoy your dinner!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I think the caught in the cake shop needs its own thread.
What do you want to know Mike !!!! That Jamo tried to pay with plastic and was turned down ... I pmsl at him . as for me being there i was getting the mrs some black forest gateau for her desert evening meal .... I cant have it being Diabetic

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
now i used to shoot, hunt, fish you name it. These days i practice C&R when i can though i will admit i have taken a few fish through the year for the table.
I would have bought food but i spent my grocery money on fishing tackle lol. :wink:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I keep the odd fish myself. In fact been moaned at a lot lately about the lack of gathering I am doing while being a hunter gatherer...

Slot size of between 4 and 6lb for me personally.

So long as it's legal and it's being eaten by you or family then fine by me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts