The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out this weekend on Saturday boat fishing and there was a slight improvement but still not as good as it should be for this time of year.We found the Mackerel but they are still not in large shoals as should be expected,they were very patchy at first but soon as the tide picked up things started to improve with Black Storm feathers having an edge over Sabiki,s which was unusual,most of the Mackerel were caught in the deeper water.

After a hour we decided to give it a go for some Black Bream on a local rocky mark which to our surprise produced fish straight away using again the Storm feathers baited with fresh Mackerel strips,one or two decent fish turned up on deck which is a good sign as they have been very small for the last few years (I intend to go back to this mark during the week to have a go for the Bream with SP,s).After a while the Bream started getting a bit cagey so we started to fish single hook traces using long Flourocarbon snoods and casting well back of the boat, this method produced the best fish of the day.

A pal of mine who was fishing closer to the entrance of the Menai Straits caught seven Bass using a J 13 Rapala,the best fish was 4ib and all the rest were a pound to two in weight and all were returned back.

·
Registered
687 Posts
nice one gary,i used to love fishing for black bream but haven`t caught any the last 2 years.will have to give it a go i think:-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Gary! Be very interesting to see how you get on with the bream later in the week!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Billy,
To tell you the truth the last time I caught any decent Bream was 15 years ago and that was on a Menai Straits mark,the spot we were fishing Saturday was in the Bay and as always produced Bream this time of year but nothing big as such untill now.

One interesting thing was when we gutted the four decent Bream their stomachs were full of Mussel seed,makes me wonder if the black feathers we had were a help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts