·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with either of the following cameras:

1. Nikon D3100
2. Nikon D5000
3. Nikon D90

Im looking at one of these for christmas this year and would like any views from anyone that has used any of the above.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Mike - December's Practical Photography mag has a review on D3100. If it was Canon then I could help.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Bit of a sweeping statement Shaun!
My wife has gone Pro Photographer and always used Nikon (I believe Henry has also swapped to Nikon away from Canon) I believe Nikon generally is better for sports and action photography ... but horses for courses it's like Daiwa vs Shimano ...

The D90 is a stout good camera and good versability - it's my wide's backup camera so I get to play with it :)

·
1,866 Posts
Bit of a sweeping statement Shaun!
My wife has gone Pro Photographer and always used Nikon (I believe Henry has also swapped to Nikon away from Canon) I believe Nikon generally is better for sports and action photography ... but horses for courses it's like Daiwa vs Shimano ...

The D90 is a stout good camera and good versability - it's my wide's backup camera so I get to play with it :)
I thought it was a true statement.... I use one of them & also use a kodak dcs pro14n which is a Nikon in disguise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way I think you ment 'wife'

Regards

Sean

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mate anything from the Nikon Or Canon Stable will see most people right depending on your intended use. My recommendation would be to look seriously at the lenses/ lens.
The lens that usually comes with a kit camera is normally pants and one you will want to change asap.
Don't get bogged down by pixel count unless you plan to go with supper large printing having said that I still amazed at billboard images I've taken years ago with a 5mb nikon D1x
If you want it for photographing fish then a good macro feature on the lens might be something to think about along with the fasted lens you can afford.
I won't buy a lens unless it's at least f2.8 along the focal length but these are tenryu type lenses.
I used Nikon cameras for 15 years religiously but now 100% Canon. New & Used Canons are good for low light photography (high iso without flash) if you can pick up a used canon 5D you will be blown away by the quality. if movies in HD and great quality are important to you then the Canon 7D would see you alright.
I now use mainly Canon 5d mk2's these days the 1 series are great but heavy, expensive like i said I would always spend more money on glass.
Andrew

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use a D90, excellent body
as the other lads said I would, if you can afford it just buy the body (without the kit lenses) and buy a lense that really suites the photography you want to do.
My D90 get some rough treatment out on the water (whale photots) and i have never had any problems.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use to use Nikon cameras not just for fishing but mainly for photographing falcons flying, they are a superb camera, but i have changed to Leica camera now which i feel has the edge but it shuld have for the cost.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
It's like rods Mike - one camera won't do everything, or at least, some will be better than others in particular fields.

Personally, I've used Canon and Nikon DSLR's and Nikon wins for ease of use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts