The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys im just wondering is there any differences in quality on different makes of sd cards.Ive just bought a 4gb sdhc card for my canon d10 and before i open it is there a specific make i should of gone for or are they all the same quality ie picture and video.
cheers daz

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
No idea sorry mate!
I just wanted too reply too get my post count up now Iv've seen your a SUPER POSTER!
Look foward too havin a play with your new camera though.
Cheers Nath

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Darren I am no expert but there are a few different types, some better for video (HD) etc I understand. Maybe a photographic forum could help?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input nath lol your a star!!Paul you might be right but im sure theres a couple of camera nerds in here lol.Andy ive been told that sandisk is a good choice mmmm i think ive bought a no frills version.
cheers daz

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
You'll probably find the Sandisk and the other big names will move pictures from the buffer to the card a bit faster, you wouldn't notice unless you're doing some fast action sports photography.

JUST DON'T FORGET TO FORMAT THE CARD WHEN YOU FIRST PUT IT IN THE CAMERA :!: (previous experience!)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
There are big differences. A good way to find out which ones are better, is to look at them on Amazon. They sell vast amounts, and ones with reliability issues soon get flagged-up with poor ratings. Only go for higher ratings (4.5 Stars & upwards).

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
always initialy format the disk mate i have always used sandisk for both commercial and personal digital work. Though you could ask Andrew younger on here mate he is a professional photographer by trade, so he could advise further buddy.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys one more thing,being a bit of a thicky when it comes to this ive bought a micro sdhc class 6 with sd adaptor.Does this make a difference?
thanks again daz

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Ok guys one more thing,being a bit of a thicky when it comes to this ive bought a micro sdhc class 6 with sd adaptor.Does this make a difference?
thanks again daz
It's a small card in a big adaptor Daz. Not best but will do.
I'm a bit rusty on all the new stuff, some of the other chaps will give you up-to-date advice

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Yes it does matter. As it's a SDHC, rather than a SD, you'll need to be sure that your camera can handle the SDHC format (HC stands for High Capacity). Some camera's cant handle them.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Basically right tim.

the Micro SD is designed for things like mobiles as there's no room for a normal size one. the adapter is just to help plugging it into a PC etc with the card slots most PC's come with now. The adapter obviously makes it up to normal size and should therefore act like a normal one.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Si just checked the camera spec for the memory and its says SD/SDHC so happy days, try ill it and see what happens.

·
Banned
792 Posts
so, microSD means smaller room for the electronics. Seems no prob as a lot of the new mobiles use them for all types of data (music, video, pics etc.)...

Buy cheap, buy twice like always. I use the big memory company ones.

Cheers
Thomas

PS as for all flash memory types, dont fill em up too much. 80% filled is max, risk of loosing data is expanding above that level cause the flash memory needs some space left for error correction purposes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Will be fine mate, SD and mini SD are the same interface just different sizes.
Personally I use SanDisk SDs for pro work and for normal stuff as the recovery software is great and have very rarely had to use it.
Sandisk ultras are very stable and good for any normal photo only stuff 15mb/s as much as most normal compacts can put out.
If your doing HD vid extreme IIIs can't be beat, 30mb/s never had a problem with them..
Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts