The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, as the title suggests...

I cast out, let settle... wait, twitch, twitch, wait etc.. occasional big twitch... One 20-30 yard cast will usually take a couple of mins to get in... Am I anywhere near doing the right thing?

Many thanks for the help chaps..

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Robert. As one who has only had one full season seriously lure fishing for bass and has spent half the time on hard plastics I am probably the least well qualified to comment! However, Xlayers have down well for me this year both in Sussex and in the west country. For what its worth, my standard way is a relatively slow sink and draw approach with the draw being one or two twitches to add a bit of life. Try to stay in touch with the lure as often the takes are on the drop. However, if Bass are anything like trout (!?), then what works one day may not work the next and so if the standard approach isnt working, and I am confident that there fish in front of me, then its time to vary things up with different speeds of retrieve, different jighead weights (to ensure I get the lure to the depth I think the fish are) and just try to vary things. If that doesnt work - stick on a Feed Shallow!

I will be interested to see what the more experienced anglers say and I know that Ben Field is a top man with soft plastics!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Andrew, again I'm a complete noob really on the whole SP thing, would x-layers be fished differently to the sluggo? And would this type of fishing be classed as HRF?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
There is a ton of stuff on my blog regards nearly a whole season using soft lures for a variety of fish.

You mention sluggo's and xlayers in particular and these are, super useful SP's for Wrasse and Bass.

The best range is 3 - 7 1/4" in Sluggos and I would suggest you use 6" sluggo's and 6" El-Salto's rigged weightless and weedless as a complement to using both standard Jap xlayers and French Giant ones. Xlayers sink slower size for size than a standard sluggo and el-saltos have the denisty of being salt impregnated thus, they sink faster and cast furthest.

Rig:

On straight or offset shanked hooks.

Rig:

Flat side down for slower water and slower falls.

Basically, just have one of these lures on and cast and fish with a very steady constant retrieve in darkness over virtually any ground you can think of and, you'll soon hook Bass and Pollack.

Gain confidence fishing these slug baits this way 'first'.

When you have mastered that by catching at least a few Bass, move on by casting then waiting after the initial cast but....
Don't lose contact with the lure.

Then, wind up quickly for 3 or 4 turns and again....wait, again maintaining contact with the lure.
This will catch you some more Bass.

Master this and come back.

This works in daylight hours too around very rough ground.
It also is my prefered method of fishing heavily coloured water on incoming tides over 'JUST' submerged weedbeds.

Hope this helps.

btw, don't strike unless the lure is falling at the time when you feel a take. Just take up the pressure gently and if your hooks are sharp, the fish self hook mostly.
Good luck.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith, that helps immensely as I was looking to employ this method over the sussex chalk reef on flooding tides, albeit during the day, but after an sw the water is unually heavily coloured... So it's a must to keep tight on the plastic?

Do you think colour plays a major role during daylight? I only have the Pearl Sluggo at the moment and I haven't had a huge amount of success with it and I've fished it in the ways you describe as well as my usual.. Perhaps it's my lack of confidence and not giving it enough time...?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hi Rob, I've been playing with SPs for a couple of seasons, had a fair ammount of success with them but I am by no means an expert!
Have a gander at the LRF/HRF section of the forum - there is a lot of stuff in there: Andy Marquis' HRF guide, Ben Fields' experiences as well as many other members' musings, then there's Jersey Bass Guides Blog; Keith and Kev White have done loads of research into SPs so have a read of their articles. Loads of winter re-reading! Personally, I find that taking your time - slowing things down is the best way to go.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Do you think colour plays a major role during daylight?
Match the bait.
This time of year, bubblegum can be useful in coloured water and at night as there are lots of Squid around.

Personally, I'd put presentation and profile over colour day or night for Bass.
I'm not saying it might NOT make a difference but IME, I would'nt get hung up with it.

Black sluggo's or dark greens, pumpkins etc are standards in my armoury.
Xlayers, Ayu, watermelon, Emeraude etc but to be honest again, Wrasse have shown a definite preference where Bass have not.

The best action is no action. If you have to twitch, do it very sparingly. Too much action, too close to any fish will only spook it.

Hope this helps..

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very helpful, although I notice that the one colour you dont mention is the one I have! lol I really appreciate the advice chaps...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
"There is a ton of stuff on my blog regards nearly a whole season using soft lures for a variety of fish."

Hiya Keith... have you a link to your blog please?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Take a 7.5" sluggo, chop it in half, glue/hot melt on a decent size curly tail, cast out and slowly retrieve-Massive thank you to Mike Ladel-this technique is as easy to do as it is it is effective. Even in coloured/weed filled water.
It has opened up a massive amount of water/conditions for me.
Stick Mike Ladel into google and have a read through his excellent site.

Oh and pearl colour works just fine, Along with shiner and black colours on the sussex reefs.

Reactions: rob d

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ya... i sw that on his site and it works, but why not just use the Sandra and not chop it... is it not the same thing?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Take a 7.5" sluggo, chop it in half, glue/hot melt on a decent size curly tail, cast out and slowly retrieve-Massive thank you to Mike Ladel-this technique is as easy to do as it is it is effective. Even in coloured/weed filled water.
Dave, I too heard Mike's talk on this topic. Have you actually had good results using these hybrid lures?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Short answer YES,
Long answer, Mike Ladel should be a knighted for services to bass fishermen. A lure that works, in open water, right through kelp beds, right through that nasty chopped up weed that you get along the shore after a good blow, in coloured water the pulse of the tail seems to make it for the fish to find. And the best bit-it is almost impossible to fish wrong, just point the rod tip at the lure and wind slowly, and don't stop until the drag screams.
Going to be one of my go to lures next year, and the best bit costs about £3-4.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Richard,
if you just use the Sandra, the hook point ride exposed and collects weed, also tends to mask the hook point. So you will miss more fish than you if you do with the Slandra.

Reactions: Richard

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Stick Mike Ladel into google and have a read through his excellent site.

Oh and pearl colour works just fine, Along with shiner and black colours on the sussex reefs.
Have you got a link to his article on this as there are so many?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Not a article as such, I heard about it through his talk at the awards night of the Weymouth Bass Festival, but if you read through his fishing reports of this year you will see how well he has done on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts