The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Harold,
The future of bass fishing in the UK is something very close to all of our hearts. But our government couldn't give a stuff about bass stocks. One can only hope that the Uk Government take notice of the American government and the incredible turn around that they managed with the Striped Bass stocks.

Reactions: Andy K

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'd be interested to know how many people who are regular users of this forum, can afford to spend shed loads on plugging gear predominantly for bass, say thay are so concerned about commercial overexploitation of our stocks, but for some reason are not interested in joining BASS. It would be very interesting, not least very beneficial, to understand why this is so.
Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ian,
I am sure that members here are aware of BASS, and those that feel membership of BASS is right for them-Are members.
It is up to them whether they join BASS or not-how much they chose to spend of gear isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It is a very sad state to see .. if the information is correct. I would be 100% behind any conservation measures required to see our stocks return to the levels they should be. However I am more than a little bit bored with statements that have no factual foundation. Was it not on this forum just a few months ago that we discussed the excellent surveying work of some of our BASS colleagues only to come to the conclusion that the sample was so small as to be next to useless?? and that no one, government or otherwise, had been interested enough to take up the task in such a way that there would be no dubiety with its results.
Apologies but I just get so tired of sensationalist journalism and hate it when everyone else jumps on the bandwagon in a hope to get the reaction that they want. The very first things we need to do is carry out proper detailed and extensive surveys and then work with the facts not some one's (how ever expert) opinion.

Ian,
IMHO it will not be the likes of BASS that will win the day for our sport fish but The Angling Trust with it's combined strength from all sections of angling. I fully understand the affiliation that BASS has with The Angling Trust but until all anglers learn that they will never have a significant voice to effect issues like this unless they join together in large numbers then we are fooling our selves as we have done for decades. I hope we see this change in the future because contrary to what you may think regarding my little rant ...I do care...I just don't like seeing the futile jestures that all angling lobbies have been guilty of in the past...simply because we cannot be bothered to join together and put our money where our mouths are regarding our sport.

Merry Christmas......;-)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd be interested to know how many people who are regular users of this forum, can afford to spend shed loads on plugging gear predominantly for bass, say thay are so concerned about commercial overexploitation of our stocks, but for some reason are not interested in joining BASS. It would be very interesting, not least very beneficial, to understand why this is so.
Cheers,
Ian
Apart from it being personal choice, I see no reason that I should do.

Local commercial fishermen here can still remember when bass where caught in nets and on lines, only to be hurled over the side as worthless fish. Anything short of making them fully protected against commercial use / exploitation as anything other than a game fish, to be persued by anglers and ALWAYS returned to the sea, even if its had its throat ripped to bits etc and is dead, is a complete waste of time. As long is there is a "£" value to the commercial fisherman, he will persue this fish and hard too!

Also and most importantly, I might opt to join an organization that was Europe wide (It doesn't matter what our govt agrees to or otherwise. Until the EU ok's it, it aint happening anyway!) and there for the presevation of our entire fish stocks, not just a single species. The whole marine eco system is suffering and to be honest, the bass around this neck of the woods seems to have improved since I was a kid. Everything else has died right off. Seriously died right off too. 3 yrs for either myself or my friends to catch an eel. 5 yrs, almost, now and still no flounder caught - I used to sit on the local quay and catch / put back up to 20 or more of these in a flood tide! - by any of us. Whiting and codling - should be loads of 5 to 7 pound codling around by now, but none of us have had anything over 2lb in weight. Not even a pound, for whiting...

Sorry, but until someone / group is willing to stand and fight for all fish and against the European Govt, then what little spare cash I have, gets saved up for my equipt / use of it and nothing else.

This isnt aimed at you Ian. Its aimed at the "question", ok.

I give up way more than is healthy for a person so that I can enjoy my few months a year of fishing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Good points made by both Ian and Dave.

Dave I know Ian well, and know him to be a man of passionate beliefs; beliefs that he would possibly admit could on the rare occassion be expressed more conciesely. As I see it the point Ian was trying to make was, worrying about the decline of bass stocks or the lack of regard given to bass anglers oppinions by polititians gets you nowhere unless you act on those concerns. Action takes many forms and is often (as I know to well) time consuming. Joining BASS is one means (and a relatively inexpensive means) of getting such views aired should you feel concerned about the state of our bass stocks.

I feel you could put Ian's view another way: anglers here might want to ask themselves what will catch you more bass in the long run; one Japanese cutting edge plug or a years BASS membership?

Reading the content of the link Harrold flagged up, I am reminded yet again just how tragic it was that John Lebbaleur - the main driving force behind the research and much of the campaigning in the article, passed away so unexpectedly this year.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks Matt yes perhaps that was a bit blunt wasnt it - your jap plug analogy was a lot more on the money.
Just really interested to hear why people feel joining BASS is not worthwhile for them.
Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Matt,
No one here would for a second doubt Ian's beliefs, His posts reflect the very real respect he has for bass. Which in tern is why many of us respect him.

But as has been mentioned above their are many opinions as to what might be the best course of action for the long term protection of bass stocks. While some members believe that is through membership of BASS, others believe that joining larger national or european bodies is the way to go. As these larger bodies will undoubtedly have a larger political clout. I am sure that bass stocks and their levels are of concern to many if not all of our membership, but they are free to act on that concern in whatever manner they see fit. Comments regarding what people send on their fishing equipment aren't likely to bring bring about the out-come your hoping for.Quite the opposite in fact. I think for the time being, allowing people to make up there own minds- Is the best option, for the members, and the bass.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It is a very sad state to see .. if the information is correct. I would be 100% behind any conservation measures required to see our stocks return to the levels they should be. However I am more than a little bit bored with statements that have no factual foundation. Was it not on this forum just a few months ago that we discussed the excellent surveying work of some of our BASS colleagues only to come to the conclusion that the sample was so small as to be next to useless?? and that no one, government or otherwise, had been interested enough to take up the task in such a way that there would be no dubiety with its results.
Apologies but I just get so tired of sensationalist journalism and hate it when everyone else jumps on the bandwagon in a hope to get the reaction that they want. The very first things we need to do is carry out proper detailed and extensive surveys and then work with the facts not some one's (how ever expert) opinion.
Trev, I must have missed the conclusive findings of a few peoples oppinions that found resampling of 01 year class bass over many years from a number of specific sites using relaible and seemingly valid techniques was "so small as to be useless." Its the best research we have in the absence of any other reasearch, and BASS has been the best voice we have in the past 35+ years. Any newer research would take years before its published and only lead to calls for further research, its a loud unified voice that will change things, and I too believe a powerful AT is the best way to go. It should also be kept in mind however that BASS campaigns to get the AT to support and campaign for the goals of BASS.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Gentlemen,
This isn't the BASS forum, everyone opinion here is just as valid as any other. If members chose to join ANY organisation in the belief that it will help secure protection for any species of fish - it is up to them, and not something they must justify on here.

Attacking other members opinions - because they don't match your own beliefs isn't in the spirt of this forum. Gentlemen please be careful how you word your posts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Steve,
There is no doubt that BASS are a great organisation and I have a great respect for what it stands for and the people with in it but politically they are just a splinter group. If we all become insular and choose only to look after our own interests then none of us IMHO will have any success. Political clout comes with numbers and money. After all we are all on the same side aren't we?

The big thing to remember is that we Bass fishermen are a very small (but growing) group of anglers compared to the other main sections of the Angling fraternity. Do we want success or do we want just to be able to say "well we tried" I want the success and believe we can only get that as part of a larger group. So i'll spend my money with The Angling Trust.......and probably with Bass if I can get my lazy ar*e into gear and get my membership sorted.....and if they'll have me.:-D:-D

·
Registered
769 Posts
Matt,
But as has been mentioned above their are many opinions as to what might be the best course of action for the long term protection of bass stocks. While some members believe that is through membership of BASS, others believe that joining larger national or european bodies is the way to go.... .
Hi Dave thanks for the reply addressed to me. I dont disagree with the "many options" idea you quoted and also implied that BASS is BUT ONE of the options in my own reply
Action takes many forms and is often (as I know to well) time consuming. Joining BASS is one means (and a relatively inexpensive means) of getting such views aired should you feel concerned about the state of our bass stocks.
Of course all are free to make up their own minds!! I made my points here probably as a bit of a reflex action, having of late been involved in trying to clarify to those on the outside of BASS what it is about as there has been a degree of misunderstanding (and misinformation) in the past. Along with several others, I have being seeking to do this, for example, through the "BASS Columb" articles in Sea Angler over the past months. This is hoped to do what you said and to "sow a seed", so others can make an informed decision and maybe decide to campaign for our bass (and also perhaps even join BASS if they chose.) Yet as you imply; Its the former not that later of these options that is ultimately more important.

Bass wishes
Matt

·
Registered
769 Posts
Steve,
So i'll spend my money with The Angling Trust.......and probably with Bass if I can get my lazy ar*e into gear and get my membership sorted.....and if they'll have me.:-D:-D
Good on you for joining AT. And should you ever chose to join BASS I know for sure they have anyone, given Ian, Steve, and myself amongst others, are in their "care."

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cheers for that reply Matt,
It is great reply, and one I am sure will get the membership thinking. I (and I am sure many other members here) truely wish everyone involved in trying to gain any form of protection for our over exploited seas every success. It is a noble fight no matter with who or how they go about it.

Reactions: Steve Lewis

·
Registered
672 Posts
Trev, if or when you join B.A.S.S, it would be good to sit and have a chat with you at the AGM or one of the fishins B.A.S.S hold around our wonderful coast-line. Maybe a few beers could be included.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Dave I'm 100% sure no-one is being attacked or is likely to be attacked, certainly not by Matt Steve or myself. It is peoples opinions about why they don't want to join BASS I am interested in, and am absolutely not interested in attacking these opinions or rubbing anyone up the wrong way about them. I am just interested in them, because maybe BASS are missing a trick or two here. Yes this aint the BASS forum, but it aint "the dark place" either, and I thought it was OK to ask peoples reasons about this here -if not then I don't really understand why not.
The way I see it is if we can understand why people dont want to join BASS, then we are better placed to be able to do something about that be it better communication, clearer strategies, ease of joining or whatever...Lets not forget many people dont bother joining any angling bodies, some join many angling bodies, and as has been said above by Trev some people kind of like the idea but just never seem to get round to it.
In response to your comments about my hamfisted opening comment I feel its relevance lies in the fact that joining BASS is so cheap by comparison, so money in effect is absolutley not the issue, and I was trying to put that one to bed from the outset so in a nutshell I agree with you.
Cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Matt,
I agree whole heartedly that, Bass have been the shining light over the last 35 years but we are, like lots of other species I might add, still getting no where. From a purely mathematical point of view the size of the research samples are simply too small. The amount of work carried out by individuals has been fantastic I am not trying in any way to denegrate that work but from a scientific point of view it is too small a sample to draw major conclusions from and develop strategies to change the trend.. Its true the major work has come from BASS but we need more and sooner rather than later. The longer we leave carrying out these major assessments the worse the possible consequences but we could also cause damage by not having the correct assessments available.

It's always great to see debates like these on the forum because it's a great indication of the passion we all feel, in different ways about our sport. We are the people who actually do something positive for our sport but I'm afraid unless we can get the other lazy b*st*rds of their ar*es to build up our numbers and power base nothing will change.

Respect.

Reactions: Dave Irving
1 - 20 of 36 Posts