The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have played with making soft lures by moulding something which already exists. Feels like I am ripping someone off so I wanted to try and make my own lure from scratch based on what I want. Long and thin with ribbed bits and a paddle tail maybe??

I reckon the best way to do this would be to try and make my own blank from wood or whatever other material.

I am planning to use this as a blank to make a silicone mould for soft plastics so if it's wood then I would need to coat it before pouring the silicone so it doesn't absorb it.

anyone got any ideas or advice what material would be good to use? I have no skill, just me, an imagination and a dremel. What type of wood would be best if wood? could a lump of plastic/perspex block be better??

Help!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Andy, you could look at having a go with modelling clay. There are various types that harden either in the oven or in air over time (link below). You would still need to apply a coating annd smooth it off but probably a lot qyicker than wittaling. If carving from wood is your preferred method I would stick to some of the fruit woods I believe Pear is preffered by people producing intricate carvings as it is very close grained but not too hard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newclay-Rei...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1280611730&sr=8-3

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about just rolling some window putty into a sausage about 6 inches long and as thick as you want it. You could even flatten the sides or get your basic shape to save on finishing time.I dont think that takes too long to dry.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of clay. Dead easy to work and you can start again. Would also be much easier to get a ribbed effect and paddle tail. Cheers!!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Andy

Balsa wood strips stuck together in two halves. That way you can through wire your lure for the treble hooks etc & add weight before you finally glue the two bits together. Then a sharp pen knife & sand paper will get the thing in to shape. If you can get hold of a copy of Mike Ladle's book "Operation Sea Angler" or look on his website, you will get some information on lure making there.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Modelling clay Andy.

Get the proper stuff that has a long period set time and then you can make changes.
I've got a few big blocks of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts