casting distance | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

casting distance

Discussion in 'The Learning Zone' started by {name}, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mullet (foul hooked)

hi new to all this lure thing. and could do with a little help.... ive got a 81/2 daiwa bg rod rated 7>35g. 20lb braid on the reel .. using a 20g lure how far should I be able to cast .. been in my field and im not getting as far as I would like. and if given the choice without spending hundreds what length rod and casting weight would you recommend . thanks in advance. eira

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Pollock Supporting Member

People talk a lot of nonsense about how far they can cast a lure. go and stand at one end of a 25m swimming pool and see how far it looks.......some of the plug casts people claim take some believing. Dense metals are a different matter of course.
    Having said that, a reel with good line lay, a spool well filled with a smoothish, thinnish braid, and a long casting lure can all make a difference.
    If distance is necessary on your marks (it isn't everywhere) then look at tweaking reel/line/lure till you hit the spots you need to reach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mullet (foul hooked)

thanks for that would a casting rod of ,,,say a 20>80g. cast the same lure further.

4. Pollock Supporting Member

Don't think you can do better than using a lure in the middle of your rods casting rating, so 7-35 should be perfect for a 20gm lure. What is the lure incidentally?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mullet (foul hooked)

its a 20g slug-go.. so what distance should I be getting.

6. Pollock Supporting Member

SPs aren't the most aerodynamic. clip on a big Patchinko or a 28 gm dexter wedge or Toby lure to see how well your set up casts.

7. Mullet (foul hooked)

ill hit the shops Saturday,, could do with a few new lures so a dexter it is, thanks

8. Sprat

Hi. try the savage gear isp seeker's nice alternative at £4.99/28 gms. Comes with a choice of single or treble hook. I got a few and replaced some older rusted trebles.
    But remember to add split ring and swivel.
    Yes it was me walking up and down the beach trying to get rid of line twist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mullet (foul hooked)

right then .. having gone to the tackle shop to buy some lures ............. ive come home , with a new rod and a shi* loads of lures. ive now got a grauvell teklon royal 9" 15>60g. got a few dexters and some more lures to play with . im sure these lures are made to catch me ,and not the fish . they all look like that's the one,,,,, to catch bass.

10. Mullet (foul hooked)

new rod, new dexter lure and it , horizon here we come . this rod feels better in the hand. its a little bit heavier to hold but I can live with that . thanks boys eira.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandeel

Hello mate. If it’s distance you’re after?.....it’s all about quality of rod/guides...line/rod pe rating....casting weight limits....quality of braid/pe....quality of reel.....aerodynamics of lures.....wind direction......casting techniques.....list goes on ......

12. Mullet (foul hooked)

sorry boys im back again and need a little help... been out today well it is a nice day.. but on casting the braid mainline tangles . I can hear / feel the tangles going out .. sorted some of it out but ive just put a load of braid in the bin.....

13. Sandeel

What reel are you using mate?...

14. Mullet (foul hooked)

shimano 4000 exage.

15. Mullet (foul hooked)

shimano 4000 exage.

16. Mullet (foul hooked)

shimano 4000 exage.

17. Mullet (foul hooked)

shimano 4000 exage.

18. Mullet (foul hooked)

don't know what I did then but I only have 1 shimano 4000 reel

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Sandeel

Lol....thought me phone crashed.....
    Haven’t used that reel....if reports are decent then.....must be braid or rod guide issues......you will find that it’s trial and error till your set-up works.....happened with me.

20. Mullet (foul hooked)

ill try it once more then if I get tangles the braid is going into the bin

• Agree Agree x 1