The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a special technique for casting lures a decent distance? I reckon I can probably sling my x-rap out about 25 or so yards on my 9' rod. I don't catch bugger all really, mostly just mackerel. Do you reckon I need to be slinging it further? no matter what I try I can never seem to get it any further, is this the limit of my gear or my technique would you say?

cheers in advance.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi Tom,
Do you need more distance to catch bass - not really. I have caught them under the rod tip, when they are in close and I don't spook them. But distance can help at times. Blasting a lure into distance won't on it's own, increase your catch.
More about what you do with the lure, and where you are fishing than how far from the beach.
That said it is well worth practicing or getting casting lesson, as it will increase your options on where you can fish.

Reactions: Tom Massey

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Tom, better rods and technique can help but I agree with Dave in that long casting is not always needed - just like fly fishing. I would suggest that you are lucky in Cornwall to have many locations where a mere 15 - 20 yard flick would get you in the fish so possibly you are fishing the wrong area/tide etc. I dont know if you are coming to the Cornish bumble this weekend but that would be an excellent chance to check your casting technique against others and try different rods to see if that helps. On top of that, we all learn so much from each other about all aspects of the sport.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi Tom. The guys are right not many fish are caught at extreme range and in the end there is only so much you can put into the cast. Best way is to watch others and if you think your technique is poor copy the ones casting further............

Or you could try a full pendulum......:wink:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good guidance on the whys and wherefores of distance above. If you are still concerned, there are some things you can consider. What is the casting weight range of the rod compared to the weight of the X-Rap? How heavy and what type of line are you using? Is the spool filled properly?
And then there is technique. Different rods and lures respond to different timing of the cast, drop length etc. Just try experimenting with what you have and see if there is improvement.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one guys, thanks for that.

I'm finding now that I'm getting it further by using less grunt to throw it, letting the rod do the work, rather than my arms.

My rod is a savage predator pro, rated 40-100grams so not ideal for slinging the xrap, but I don't get it much further (maybe only 10yards) using a 2oz (56g) dexter/toby. I'm using 30lb spiderwire braid with a ~6' mono 28lb shockleader, it's not right to the edge of my spool because I've got a cheap Abu cardinal and it bird nests like buggery with the braid if I have it too close to the edge (it's prob about 3/16ths to an 1/4 of an inch from the egde of the spool.

I tend to leave around a quarter of the length of the rod dangling down before I chuck it.

If it wasn't so dark in the evenings, I'd have a practice slingin a lead down the garden, but there's not much point if you can't see where it's gone!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tom,

Sounds like you learned what I did recently, letting the rod do the work. Now I try to limit the rod movement between about 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock (if you get my meaning). The key I found is not to wait before pulling the rod forward again, otherwise the load you've built with the back stroke gets dissipated and you're only using the forward stroke without the tension from the rod.

Though the other guys here are right in that you don't need the distance normally, but I fish some marks that are less accessible and you need some distance to reach other features (or a wetsuit, or kayak ;) ). After some practice, I now don't have an aching arm after just an hour. I'm guessing that as my experience grows in sussing out the best marks and locations, I'll not need the distance so much.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom,
Though the other guys here are right in that you don't need the distance normally, but I fish some marks that are less accessible and you need some distance to reach other features

yea, same here, a lot of the places I fish are like that. north cornish coast is pretty gnarly sometimes!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
My rod is a savage predator pro, rated 40-100grams so not ideal for slinging the xrap, but I don't get it much further (maybe only 10yards) using a 2oz (56g) dexter/toby. I'm using 30lb spiderwire braid with a ~6' mono 28lb shockleader, it's not right to the edge of my spool because I've got a cheap Abu cardinal and it bird nests like buggery with the braid if I have it too close to the edge (it's prob about 3/16ths to an 1/4 of an inch from the egde of the spool.
That's a very heavy rod rating for standard lures. That's more of a Pike rod for big lures. The problem is likely that your just not loading the rod, therefore will achieve little more distance than you would with a broom handle.

You should be doing a little better with the Wedge, but it may be that again you are just not loading the rod.

I am certainly no casting expert, but i would say that you are not making life easy for youself with such a heavy set-up.

Your line is a very heavy rating also, with what is likely a relatively thick shockleader. You mention that you have a shortish drop, but a 6' 28lb Shockleader, so presumably you have quite a large knot flying through your tip-ring, which may also not be helping?

I think that there are a few things that you can do to make your life easier here Tom.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Tom mate as mentioned already the distance on the cast isnt as important as you think, i spent many years fly fishing in the salt, here my average cast was 25 yards i could cast further though no need there fish are there just finding them is the fun part.
Change locations, fish the different phases of moon, tides and keep a record through the year of what where when and a catch report. soon build the condifence on what works where mate.
On the rod side i used rods rate to that and now i use a 10 - 40 and think thats too heavy and dropping to 5-30 sling everything tht i want or need n the old box there.
As for casting the best way to further explain the 10 - 2pm thing is from fly casting.
Start with the rod @ 2pm on an imaginary clock face and cast forwards to the 10am position with a sudden and abrupt stop. During the cast accelerate through until the stop in a smaooth action you will feel it working in your hands.
If you watch the rod it will bend sufficiently and then shoot / strike forwards thus loading the blank too cast.
My average cast is 20 - 30 yards for all species if i wanted to get deeper then a kayak comes into play but record the sessions and look back over them mate always a good starting point.
I dare say others could explain better than i but this is a good start.

tight lines;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts