The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is a catch report section I'll start with telling you all that I had a big blank last week (should be out today - look at the weather! but the office has caught me) drifting from La Roque through the gutters up to St Helier and then back again on the flood, with not a sight of a fish.

We tried various hard and soft baits still nothing. Interested to see how many folks here are using a lot of soft plastics. So I've had good success with white blood head sidewinders over the past 18 months but I've not really tried many others. If were to expand on that a bit what would be a good starting point? I definitely use a lot less hard baits now than previously - partly because of the cost and partly because the softs can be so effective.

The hard's I use are: 1) what ever **** persuades me to buy when I go in (visiting his shop is a pretty expensive business sometimes!): however the fibre tips I bought last year were stunningly good; 2) luck craft minnows and staysees - probably because they are what I started on a few years ago and I've just caught so many fish on them...

Interested to hear what any locals in Jersey - or elsewhere - think about those lures, and what other soft plastics I should try.

Cheers Jim

PS Forgot to mention: saw a stunning load of big mullet in the harbour in town in the sun last Saturday. Just doing that thing they do: sitting there in the sun...one day I'll work out how to catch one of them too but presumably not on a lure?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I'd update this one as today's trip had so much in common with the previous one... Not so long on the water this morning, but similar result: 1 small pollack and not a hint of a bass. We fished out of La Roque on water that was too high in reality, down passed the red bouy on the north side of the reef; then little Seymour; back of Seymour and then over to Icho. Stunning day but still finding no fish. Keen to hear how others have done. Tried a range of deep divers and jellies but nothing doing. Ho hum...makes it feel so better when it does happen...

Cheers Jim.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Unlucky Jim. By the sounds of it, you are by no means the only person struggling to hit silver if thats any consolation! I am just chuffed about the Wrasse etc HRF stylee, haven't really even thought about going for the Bass. The cuttles are in now, there's an alternative till the Bass thicken up! We had our first ones out west last year

1 - 3 of 3 Posts