The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im thinking that I would like to fish sp more than I have been of late. My current 15-45 Bushie is loaded with 30lb Power pro. Not a great deal of feeling to this with light jigs and sp's.
I also have a 1-12g black bull with 8lb yamatoyo which is great for small sp's. My question is would it be better to change my braid on the BW to some of the new YGK braid and if so what lb (or would it better to go for another lighter ranged rod with lighter braid.)

I suppose that what I'm really saying is can I make my BW do everything ok.... ie. sp's, plugs, Top Water, snaggy groung, etc by just changing the braid ( think I know the answer to this )
But would be interested to hear you opinions

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
IMO the Bushie you have will be fine for what you want but NOT the lighter jig heads. If you uuse jig heads of about 10g and more you will feel them OK but not as goos as the light rod with a 5g and softie obviously.

The bushie sounds ideal for general plugging and heavier SP's in deeper water to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy

Yep you are right 10g plus on the the rod is ok,. I still have trouble picking up the bites and feeling the ground.
I'm pretty new to this SP lark I havent got experience of feeling bites from bait fishing,which I would imagine would help ?
What I was wondering is would a lighter braid make it significantly easier to feel the bites and the action of the jig/ when using sp's and if so what lb would do this yet still be strong enough to put up with snaggy ground ?

I have read recently about new lighter braid and light feeling/takes it transmits and wondered if it could help me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi Paul

If you have a spare spool for the reel on the bushie, you could try some 8 or 10lb PP or the rovex braid seems just as good and relativly cheap. Maybe that would be a good option to try first. Having played around with my ULX (1-9gm), I can now feel 5gm +sp on my RLSD almost as well.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey mate,
Why dont you have a borrow of my 2500 Exage which is loaded with 10lb PP.
You could get a feel for it & see if it's what you're looking for.
Not really about til Sunday now, but otherwise, wou're welcome.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks Andy

Yep you are right 10g plus on the the rod is ok,. I still have trouble picking up the bites and feeling the ground.
I'm pretty new to this SP lark I havent got experience of feeling bites from bait fishing,which I would imagine would help ?
What I was wondering is would a lighter braid make it significantly easier to feel the bites and the action of the jig/ when using sp's and if so what lb would do this yet still be strong enough to put up with snaggy ground ?

I have read recently about new lighter braid and light feeling/takes it transmits and wondered if it could help me.
Thinner braid does help.
Holding the rod slightly high whilst fishing (gripping the rod with thumb and forefinger lightly on the blank, above the handle).
Maintaining a near 90 degree line / rod tip angle (be that horizontal or vertical planes or anywhere inbetween).

Match your gear, feel that jig, catch those fish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... Yep you are right Gary,I'll try it out some 10lb,

Thanks Jez perhaps we'll catch up some time over the w/e

'Match your gear, feel that jig, catch those fish.' Thats the idea Keith.... thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Guys

On a similar subject. I have a bit of Braid confusion.

I was recently using PP 10lb test 0.15 Braid and decided to go up to 20lb test. I have just received my new Braid from Veals and I was surprised to find that the line I have just bought looked as thin as the 10lb PP Braid I already have. When I checked they are both 0.15 Braid. How can they both be 10lb and 20lb test while they are the same dia' @ 0.15 ? Is there some mistake somewhere or can this be correct ? Veals 10lb test is 0.10 but the PP 10lb I already have is 0.15 - like Veals 20lb test.:-?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts