The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Pretty new to Lure fishing so i would appreciate a little advice from those in the know.
Recently i have been using Maria Chase, Tide Minnow type lures with no real problems. A few days ago i swapped to a White 6" Megabass Xlayer and within half a dozen casts i had a " Birds nest ". Sorted that but then a few casts later i had a toal "crack off". Am i doing something with the soft lure that i shouldnt be, or do i need to use some kind of extra weight with the soft lure.

Thanks

Paddy

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had this problem when I started using thin Braids and light lures....The good news is you don,t have to change your braid

All you need to do is try and put some sort of tension on the line when you start retrieving,the way I do it is to hold the line with index finger and thumb (can be a bit tricky to start) just to give it enough tension as your winding in,it helps if you have a light rod when you do this.

I use Power-Pro braid in 10ib and since I adopted this technique while using light lures and Xlayers I have had no problems.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gary, I will give that a try when i am out next. I have just stripped my reels for reloading of new braid ( Penn Dyna Braid ) in readiness for the Bass comp later in the week. Your advice has been appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a few crack off's from not checking my braid/knot for damage. A weak point and a big cast at the end of the session has resulted in £20 flying into the distance a few times.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Paddy

I assume that you are using a fixed spool reel not a small multiplier????

When you cast out close the bail arm by hand rather than with the reel handle & make sure the braid is reasonably tight, no lose saggy bit hanging down before you start winding in. It becomes second nature after a few casts.
And don't over fill your spool.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
As Gary has said, it'll be due to the fact that when you are retrieving plugs, they 'bite' the water and create their own tension which beds the braid onto the reel nicely. Changing to an SP that is often lighter and lacks the tension on the retrieve, problems can occur.

It can also happen when you fish surface lures WTD twitchy style, where you might twitch it forward, then retrieve a few turns of slack up, resulting in loose coils going onto the spoil, which can lead to a huge ball of expensive braid exploding out. I let my mate have a few casts with my gear the other day to feel some new braid I had, and he cast right up in the air creating a big loop of slack line, then retrieved it onto the reel under no tension. Suprise suprise, a cast or two later, some loops came off the reel.

Kev let me know a good trick, which is to every now and then blast the lure out and just straight retrieve it, putting tension on the braid with your other hand.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The crack off may have been where the braid was weakened in the birds nest, or may have been a loop coming off the reel and wrapping round a ring, jolting the lure off

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for all the advice which i will take on board. May also try a mono leader and see if i notice/feel any difference.
It just seemed strange that when i changed to a soft lure i was suddenly having problems :???: The next time i am going fishing will be thursday through till monday in the local bass comp so i will see ow i get on :-D Thanks again :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I agree with others, I am sure it is down to the lack of tension casting and retreiving a SP compared to the resistance offered by a plug. Advice about manually closing the bail arm and providing some tension on the retrieve is spot on IMHO. I would also suggest that you feather the cast just before it lands as this will help ensure no loose coils come off or at the least, it will ensure you start the retrieve with some tension.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just to add another possibility. A couple of years ago I had a similar experience. 4 casts later I looked at the top ring and noticed it was chipped. It was sharp enough to cut the braid on each cast.

Nick.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have fished over the last couple of days, not today as working, and took the advice on board, feathered the cast, manually closed the bail arm and kept the line under slight tension........ No over runs or crack off's....... Tip ring checked and all seems well. hopefully get out tomorrow night, if not will be out all day monday. Thanks again everyone :-D:-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts