The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Gents,

Can anyone suggest some cheaper shallow divers and surface lures that have a good action? Less than £10 and preferably around £5.

I have a local mark in mind that is supposed to fish well at low tide but has a rough bottom and is covered in mussel beds. I would hate to lose my beloved Tide Minnows!

Off of the top of my head I can only think of the Chug-Bug popper and the Maria Chase BW, but something even cheaper would be handy until I figure out the depths involved.

Many thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
down here we have an outlet called trago mills and they sell the cr*ppy conrad plugs for £1.50 or something, caught on them when I started out, the finish only lasts a couple sessions though. They're made by fladen.

·
Registered
773 Posts
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Storm Saltwater Rattlin' Chug Bug CBS11 - £5.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Yo-Zuri Mag Popper 10cm - £10.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Yo-Zuri Banana Boat - £8.49[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Heddon Saltwater Super Spook - £7.49[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow Floating F8 - £8.99[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Daiwa Chugger Minnow 12cm - £7.19[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All of these are proven fish catchers that wont break the bank. You also have the world of soft plastics and jig heads open to you for not a lot of outlay.[/FONT]

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Rapala may be your best option. If you look carefully on eBay, you can often find Rapala lures from USA very cheap

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dexter wiggle stick dives to 18 inches, casts great, and great finish.
Dexter easy walker is a great Sammy copy.

Both about £5.99.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Daiwa Chugger Minnow in both 10cm and 12cm- cast ok and run about the same depth as a Feed shallow- a steal at £6-7 Clear minnow, Gold/blue/black colours are worked for me in Sussex.
Topwater-Heddon Super Spook Jnr 9cm about £7 a real no brainer-great lure. Caught two bass around 45cm on it today, and had my biggest bass last season on it. Colour Blue Mullet.
Loads of cheap cr*p lures out there, but there are a few Cheap great lures too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi i fish the same kind of ground and use the storm jointed thunder stick fished really really slow swims just below the surface

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions all of you. I had forgotten about the Super Spook, the cheaper Daiwa Models, the Dexters and the Yo Zuris. Also, I hadn't realised that the thunderstick was so shallow. The Owner Cultivas are new to me but still a bit more than I wanted to pay.

The mark I am thinking of is seriously shallow, maybe only a foot or two, and covered in muscles, making it a tackle graveyard. I'm thinking that it might be time to invest in some waders so that I can access the deeper water - the wife will be pleased.

Has anybody tried anything really cheap, say less than a fiver, and actually had some luck on them? Or would I be wasting my time and money on the super cheap plugs?

All the best,
Tony.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I use cheap poppers regularly. They cast really well, rattle and "spit" water easily. Apart from where they've hit rocks, the finish is nigh on perfect. However, superglue was needed to prevent them becoming sinkers.

They cost £2 from Go Fishing Shop and the first bass I had on them was a PB of 26 inches.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Morning Gents,

Can anyone suggest some cheaper shallow divers and surface lures that have a good action? Less than £10 and preferably around £5.

I have a local mark in mind that is supposed to fish well at low tide but has a rough bottom and is covered in mussel beds. I would hate to lose my beloved Tide Minnows!

Off of the top of my head I can only think of the Chug-Bug popper and the Maria Chase BW, but something even cheaper would be handy until I figure out the depths involved.

Many thanks,
Tony.
Tony

If you PM me your address. I will send you some plugs that I do not use anymore as I rarely get to the coast and I think when I do, I will be using SPs as I am 'sold' on LRF. I only lure fish ultra light in freshwater.

I don't want anything for them but you could make a donation to the Lure Forum if you wish.

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Guys,

The mark I am thinking of is seriously shallow, maybe only a foot or two, and covered in muscles, making it a tackle graveyard. I'm thinking that it might be time to invest in some waders so that I can access the deeper water - the wife will be pleased.

All the best,
Tony.
Good idea mate, then you could also wade out and retieve your stuck lures from the mussel beds. Double whammy :clap:

·
Registered
161 Posts
mustard do some only 2.50 a pop and they work few lads i no done well on red heads got similar look to yozuri crystal minnow and they rattle to at that price u not be botherd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts