Cheaper but not cheerfuller | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Cheaper but not cheerfuller

Discussion in 'Reels' started by {name}, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Sprat

Is it me or are cheaper reels not holding up. 20180105_161819.jpg crome plating peeling off bail arm.
    I must admit it's a cheaper priced Abu cardenial and true l haven't cleaned it as often as I should have but why should a reel be a throw away item after 6 months.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Perch

Take it back. It's not fit for purpose. Get a refund and put it towards a decent reel. I've had same problem with cheaper ABU reels in the past. The two Sorons I have are spot on, no issues. I almost exclusively use Shimano reels now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sprat

I approached the angling centre and was told basically l hadn't washed it down after each use (which l couldn't argue with ) and that even a thousand pound reel corrodes because of the nature of saltwater. Which I guess is fair does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Perch

Get a shimano, rinse it off after saltwater use and give it a bit of lube in the appropriate places and basic maintenance: job done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sprat

you wont have the same problems with shimanos as most of their bailarm fittings are plastic crap.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Perch

Not sure where you are getting your information Greg. All the current Shimano reels I am using have metal bail. Some of the cheaper reels do have plastic fittings. I have used these as well without any problem. Have you had a negative experience with Shimano reels?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sprat

Well I went with a Penn battle 11 3000. Had a bash yesterday and seems ok. Don't feel l received the best of customer service but had Xmas vouchers to spend so little choice. But I'm getting a new rod next month and it'll be from chesil bait and tackle, it's over an hour away but just fed up with local under stocked angling centre's (they had a grand total of 3 different lures to choose from ).

8. Perch

Good luck with the Penn Simon. Hopefully it will hold up a little better than the ABU.

9. Sprat

Hopefully. Just out of interest does wd40 affect braid?

10. Perch

Try Ballistol spray oil. Superb stuff. Been using it on all my reels for a few years now. Harmless to braid and non toxic. WD40 is not really a lubricant.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Sprat

sorry kev I ment the attachments that hold the bailarm on are usually plastic.very poor in my opinion considering the price they charge.ok the plastic wont rust but very poor workmanship in my mind not designed to last at all.

12. Sandeel

I’m of the opinion that a sub £180 reel, with a lot of tlc,will perform just as well as say,a Twinpower,Sustain or dare I mention,a Stella.
    I bought a Shimano Aero 4000 Spin FA for under £100 last year for my Med/Heavy Bassin’,and the reel behaves impeccably.
    Line-lay and casting is faultless,with minimal wind-knots. (Probably 3x all season).
    I would love to own a high-end reel,but, are they really(pardon pun) worth it?

• Agree Agree x 2