·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Im in desperate need of a rucksack/chestpack but i'm torn between the:

"SAKURA KOA" or the
"AIRFLO OUTLANDER".

One question is are the front packs on the Koa detachable?

Any positive or negative points would be grately appreciated.

Many thanks

Stevie Q

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Koa has useful dimensions but....

with heavy use they just don't cut it.
Of course, all our gear sees accelerated wear but my first one lasted 3 months, the second 9 weeks.

Yet, toss the coin and others have used theirs for over a full season.

I find the straps twist because they are so narrow which in turn, pulls the threads attaching them to the pack. Zips aren't too bad actually.

Please don't take this as a negative, many are happy with them.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I found the Koa OK, but thw front pouches were very bulky and got in my way when on cliffs, couldn't right my centre of balance against the cliff face properly. I use a cheapo Bison chest/backpack now, the orange stretchy string on the back didn't last long (not difficult to replace) but the bag itself is fine after about 4 months. I'm happy and it was only £20 off fleabay.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot Andy that has swung it for me. I can imagine the pouches get in the way whilst casting also. £20 quid for a flea-bag is ideal. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Koa has useful dimensions but....

with heavy use they just don't cut it.
Of course, all our gear sees accelerated wear but my first one lasted 3 months, the second 9 weeks.

Yet, toss the coin and others have used theirs for over a full season.

I find the straps twist because they are so narrow which in turn, pulls the threads attaching them to the pack. Zips aren't too bad actually.

Please don't take this as a negative, many are happy with them.
Thanks Keith- from what i read its prob best just to spend reasonable money on a "disposable" chestpack because of the abuse they take. Rather than spend alot and get let down.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
A couple of the guys got fishpond packs earlier this year. maybe they could report on them after some abuse? They are the expensive proper ones.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have looked after my Koa and it is still OK but the straps and fixings could be stronger. It's OK if you don't take too much gear (impossible!).

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I found the Koa OK, but thw front pouches were very bulky and got in my way when on cliffs, couldn't right my centre of balance against the cliff face properly. I use a cheapo Bison chest/backpack now, the orange stretchy string on the back didn't last long (not difficult to replace) but the bag itself is fine after about 4 months. I'm happy and it was only £20 off fleabay.
had the same bison one all season and so far so good, really pleased with it for the money, and yes the orange string on the back pack keeps getting caught up in the zip puller and gets a bit shredded, plenty of room in the four zipped compartments, and yes it takes a bit of getting used to if you have lure boxes in both front compartments as they do stick out a bit,but doesnt take long to get used to

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I got the Sakura Trek just before going to Jersey and it is excellent......loads of space to carry kit........:-D:-D

Reactions: kevin pugh

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Must say that the Sakura koa chest pack looks like its made of the same stuff that my Sakura waist pack is,and as reported recently its fallen to bits after less than 30 sessions.
I knew I should have gone for the Simms products (real quality).
I have just spent the last 4 days with the Ultimate bag that I got from ****,,,,,for the money 'off the scale' and their dosn't seem a lot that could go wrong with it.
Imagine if a company like Simms were to make a bag like this to a similar design but with their quality 'build'.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Steve have you looked at the Snowbee water proof rucksack ? you can also get a clip on chest back that doubles up as a bum bag for shorter sessions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Steve have you looked at the Snowbee water proof rucksack ? you can also get a clip on chest back that doubles up as a bum bag for shorter sessions.
Yeah Mike i had a little look up Snowbees "Trade counter" and liked the look of it. I turned it down though as i already have a bum bag.

I've decedied to go for the "SIMMS- Headwaters Tech Pack" (Many thanks Tim for the heads up!)

I'll do a little review when it arrives and possibly do a little vid and post it on Youtube.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Yeah Mike i had a little look up Snowbees "Trade counter" and liked the look of it. I turned it down though as i already have a bum bag.

I've decedied to go for the "SIMMS- Headwaters Tech Pack" (Many thanks Tim for the heads up!)

I'll do a little review when it arrives and possibly do a little vid and post it on Youtube.
And I went for the Sakura Trek, made in the same factory and identical to the Fishpond version - half the price. Let me know so I can curse when your Simms arrives Stevie :!:

·
Registered
364 Posts
i got a koa in brittany for £30 and it's a great concept after you slightly adjust your style and get the thing adjusted right for your cast etc. takes all you need for a session and more prob. easy lure change etc in the water - great for wading.

it feels a little cheap (it was) and the zips don't like the salt. its not easy to cart around and store once its not on you and getting the front clasp done up when its stuffed is a pain.

all in all it'll last a good season if you're not a guide and you look after it.

a few design tweaks and better material/ straps/ zips and it would be a classic all dayer....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts