The Lure Forums banner

Choice of LRF rods

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Gary A 
#1 ·
OK guys, this could be a tough one (I know its doing my nut in)

My youngest lad (12 in June), is showing a keener & keener interest in fishing lrf especially (I think he's fascinated by the look of the sp's).

The thing is, I'd like to get him a rod for the light stuff. About 2 weeks ago, he persuaded us to buy him a £20 shakespeare ugly stick rod and reels set, with an assortment of 76 sp's hooks and weights. Having had a quick fling myself I think its probably Ok with weights around 7-20gm (maybe an mrf rod?) but with lighter weights there is just no feeling and he will be wanting to give up.

So, the dilemma is do I get him a ULX the same as mine which he has used and feels comfortable with, or do I let him use my ULX and buy myself either a solid tip carb-o-star(£25) or a shimano diaflash giving me a choice when he is not there? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions for rods (preferably available locally).

I bought my wife the 2-15 gm carb-o star the other day, at £35 it also feels a nice rod, but I think that was the last one in the shop.

Any ideas would be great

Gary

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought my wife the 2-15 gm carb-o star the other day, at £35 it also feels a nice rod, but I think that was the last one in the shop.
Mick has just secured the last of those Gary. He has around 9 left.
Also in, Black Bull 260 and 270 solid tip's. Real sensitive but bonus fish stopping rods. Could be too long for the kid though.

First one is likely the best choice for him.

#6 ·
I got it bad, I must stop now, 20 different LRF rods on display in the shop!! I think it should cover most situations and price ranges now!!! Sorry guys.
Haha, it was only a month ago we were in Nantes and the Diaflash was the only LRF rod in the shop!!

#7 ·
Not quite true. Mick had ULX's in before Nantes 2009, so fair play to you Mick for pioneering the retail of this stuff in these parts.

That Black Bull is an absolute steal for the money, I just wish it wasn't so breezy so I could use it tonight.

Been freezing my n*%s off getting the boat ready all afternoon. And no Side, I'm not going out tomorrow.

#11 ·
Mick has gone to great lengths to equip the shop with a ton of LRF and HRF equipment. Loads more coming in too.
Quite possible to completely set up for around a £100.
Can you recommend a sub £ 100 set up Keith. I am thinking that I am more likely to get proper use out of a MLF as the rods seem to go down as low as 2g and up to 15g, than I would a LRF where the rods seem 1g- 9g. Am I right in thinking that a MLF is, as it sounds a middle of the road type and in as much, if I'm only going to have one rod then this should cover most applications other than sub 2g. What are the weight of lure/jigs that are most used in this type of fishing. Or am I completely putting to much emphisis on the weight........ Now I've confused my self again

#12 · (Edited)
Hi Paul, as I said earlier in the thread, I bought a 3-15gm carb-o-star for my wife. The rod cost £35, I teemed that with a rovex 2000 reel (£50) and a spool of 10lb rovex braid (approx £24) which Mick kindly loaded for me. So that set up is less than £110. We've only been out with it once so far and had to give up because of the cold and strengthening wind. I was using my ULX and the wife her carb-o-star. We both fished carolina rigs, I had 2gms on mine, and started Karen with 3 gms. After a few casts I added an extra 2 gms and it became a lot easier to cast ( remember it was blowing quite hard already). Karen got on fine with the whole set up, the braid behaved perfectly, but sadly no fish for her. I managed to prise it out of her hands for the last cast of the night and thought it felt really well balanced with enough feeling at 5gms. I'm quite sure on one of the less windy nights in the future it will feel sensitive enough with just 3gms. Sadly, our forecast for the next week looks like NE F5, so it may be a while before it gets another outing.

I could be wrong (I'm new to this game myself) but I think normally the least weight you can use given the conditions (which vary from mark to mark) the better presented your lure will be. For my last few outings, I have only used 2 gms which gives your lure plenty of time to sink slowly down and be fished relly slow.

Hope this helps

Gary

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for that Gary

As I mentioned its all new to me as well and any info is greatly recieved, I'll give mick a call to see what he has left in the shop. Everything seems to be selling like hotcakes at the mo from what I can gather.

I hadn't thought about lighter gear giving better presentation..... doh...makes sense

thanks

#14 ·
I hadn't thought about lighter gear giving better presentation..... doh...makes sense

thanks
Believe me Paul, it's taken quite a while for the penny to drop with me. I started in January with my red luck super distance, 30lb powerpro, 10gram+ jigheads and 5"xlayers. With this gear, brilliant as it is (Going to be brilliant for hrf soon) there was no feeling for on the drop takes, or anything at all really. Keith lent me his ULX one night with 1 gm and the tiniest sp I've seen to date and with all the patience in the world he guided me as this tiny lure passed along rocks with fish plucking regularly until I'd caught my first pollock. The feeling was incredible and I'm sure would be even greater on a solid tip rod, but the tips on those are scarily thin. I love my ULX and would happily buy another when the inevitable happens.

Gary

#15 ·
Keith lent me his ULX one night with 1 gm and the tiniest sp I've seen to date and with all the patience in the world he guided me as this tiny lure passed along rocks with fish plucking regularly until I'd caught my first pollock. The feeling was incredible
Gary:

Thankyou very much for those kind words m8.
Believe me though, I was genuinely made up for you. I think I derive much more pleasure from seeing others having a good time fishing than actually catching myself.
And, I love the latter alot so that tells you how pleased for you I was. Same goes for your 8 fish night. You've massively progressed.

#16 ·
Well I took my lad into Mr Fish yesterday, and after a little wiggle with 3 different rods (ULX, Carb-o-star 2-15, and the gorgeous sakura rookie ultralight 2-7g :wackit:) Martin chose the carb-o-star. We teamed it up with a rovex 2000 and 10lb rovex braid, exactly the same set up as his mum (approx £110).

We took it out for him to test last night, report to follow.

Cheers guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.