The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all first post so be gentle.what dictates the lure your going to use on any given day ie can you fish with a surface lure throughout the season or if it choppy,flat calm sinking diving lure etc.obviously confidence will dictate the lure your going to put on but im yet to catch a bass.:cry:
thanks in advance

·
Registered
519 Posts
most people will choose a confidence lure, no matter what the conditions/situation, I.E one they've caught on before.

we tend to choose based on

depth & clarity of water, available light whether night/day, speed of current, available structure & cover, available bait, these are just some of the basic things to get going, then you need to look into the presentation of what you've chosen, now that's a whole other story.

all the best

kev

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Arwel, welcome to the forum.

I believe that conventional wisdom suggests using brighter coloured lures on brighter days, and darker lures on overcast days. However, I recently caught my first bass on dull, wet and windy morning with a large holographic white Tide Minnow.

From what I've heard, other conventions include the use of surface lures during late summer (now onwards) and larger lures during the latter half of the season (again, now onwards).

As for me, I'll be using that big white Tide Minnow as often as I can and buying some more in the same colour and some more in the same size.

All the best,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Arwel,

A thought about catching your first bass: Look out for early morning and late evening high tides and get out there as often as you can. It worked for me on holiday recently.

I know that it's not easy. I only managed it on holiday as the sea was right outside the front door. Most of my fishing over the last year has been during the middle of the day when it's been more convenient or the weather has been better, without much success.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Lure choice based on,
first water depth-can't fish a deep diver in a foot of water.
Bait fish present-less important as bass are opportunistic feeder- but copying the right bait makes things easier.
Gin clear water-go for mat colours, normal sea more flash, dirty seas Rattles tend to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks every one,i did venture out last weekend to a spot i know someone caught an 8lber.upon arrival i saw plenty of gulls diving and bait fish coming right into the land,water was really clear and the tide was coming in.i persevered with a surface lure but to no avail.
just round the corner there is an estuary with plenty of rocks and weedy fishy looking places.
patience is something i have in spades so i'll be out as often as i can.
thanks again folks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts