The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bright sunshine and flat calm seas at a local beach today, my girlfriend went off in her kayak so I took a rod and joined the tourists casting feathers from the rocks in to 6 feet of water. I was really just tghere to soak up some sun but I managed to get myself out on to quite a nice rocky point that seems to be only accessible on a spring low.

I could easily see a few very decent mullet around, but just hoped that there may be one or two tiny schoolies with them as well. Casting a new Megabass Edonis the mullet seemed pretty interested - more so than normal. After a short while one of them actually launched a bow wave attack on the lure but didn't hook up. These were aggressive little blighters! A few casts later I actually hooked one! After a reasonable fight, and after locating the perfect place to land him, a 5lb mullet was mine! Hooked just underneath the mouth! Result! Think I may go back tomorrow with smaller baits to see if I can catch a couple more. Would be a laugh on the ultra light rods!

mullet..jpg

Kayakers and swimmers eventually scared the fish off but it was a nice hour in the sun. LRF attack on the harbour later tonight!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be nice to test the limitsb of the light rods. A decent mullet should give either a definite "yes" or a definite "no" to what they can handle.

Must also note, there was very little fish life in the rockpools still. Odd pools held one or 2 gobies, but the vast, vaaaast majority were still lifeless. I think we're a little bit behind the South coast up here.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Wow! To me, thats really unusual. I often encounter large shoals of Mullet, some harbours and marks are solid with them sometimes. Asides from the odd one foul hooked, I have very rarely heard of one whacking a plug, assuming its a thick lip

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was crazy Mark, especially the missed attack!

Casts up to 21g Mike. This rod and the Steez are my favourite combo. Easily. Together they're almost too nice to actually fish with.

To end the perfect day I managed my first mackerel on the LRF kit from the harbour tonight, plus the standard dozen or so pollack.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ben, we had the same thing yesterday with a big shoal of decent sized mullet. They were definitely attacking the plugs - we had swirls, bow waves and even fish coming out of the water around the lures. We tried hard for half an hour but all we managed was a few knocks and a single scale! Would have loved to have hooked one as I was on a light set up and they were a good size. Never heard of mullet chasing plugs, but we were hoping that there may have been the odd bass with them. Got the blood pumping I can tell you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Must also note, there was very little fish life in the rockpools still. Odd pools held one or 2 gobies, but the vast, vaaaast majority were still lifeless. I think we're a little bit behind the South coast up here.[/QUOTE]

I noticed the same up this way last few weekends Ben. Yesterday I was out for a few hours continually on the move rock hopping, and didn't see any sign of life in the pools at all. Maybe in the next couple weeks with a bit of luck. Nice job on the Mullet and the night session,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Nath. I reckon 2 weeks as well Paul. The south coast is absolutely solid with mackerel now and the rockpools are busy. They were dead too 2 weeks ago. Hopefully with the mackerel there will be bass.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good stuff Ben, I was out on the boat from Padstow yesterday - managed 6 Pollack to about 5lbs, not big fish but good fun on light tackle and 60g Williamson jigs plus 16 good size mackerel. Lots and lots of launce around the back of the island though didn't see any bass being caught - it's only a matter of time though. Sea now quite coloured with a lot of phyto-plankton but still cool at around 9-10 degrees. More bird activity.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good stuff Ben, I was out on the boat from Padstow yesterday - managed 6 Pollack to about 5lbs, not big fish but good fun on light tackle and 60g Williamson jigs plus 16 good size mackerel. Lots and lots of launce around the back of the island though didn't see any bass being caught - it's only a matter of time though. Sea now quite coloured with a lot of phyto-plankton but still cool at around 9-10 degrees. More bird activity.
nice one Ben! Must have been a lovely day out there! Bet it won't be long before those mackerel hit the shore as well. Was out for a few hours this afternoon, mostly exploring. Was trying for a wrasse mostly but no joy. Think I'm gonna head somewhere I've actually caught wrasse from next time, rather than trying new ground. Found some lovely spots though.

I did spend 20 minutes trying to catch a goby as well! Sad as it sounds, I spotted a decent one in a huge pool and hooked it as well - on the tail of tiny xlayer. Sadly he dropped off the barbless hook when I swung him in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice report!

The Graphite Leader Argento is a excellent rod, yours is the EX or the normal version? I only had the EX in my hands and liked it a lot.

Here in Portugal it's also rare to catch mullet on a plug, most of them come foul hooked, still, in our south shore we have a specie or sub specie (I really don't know) that we call liças robaleiras (I think the best translantion is seabass mullet or something) that besides growing really large (5 kilo the biggest I think) they actually attack plugs.

I had myself some 2 years ago in Algarve, in broad dayling and on a Super Spook HOS :O

1 - 18 of 18 Posts