The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a christening mind, but christened nevertheless... Myself and my mate went down Port Erin jetty at 9pm last night, it was blowing a hooley with a bitterly cold easterly blowing across the bay. We could see and hear the Whiting popping the surface all around us so I had a go at them. My mate was using some frozen razor shell and I was using a Keitech Swing Impact 2inch (if you think Xlayers smell you should stick your hooter in a bag of these!) on a size 4 barbless carp hook, carolina rigged with a splitty 18 in up the leader. Just letting it land then a slow retreive just under the surface. After 3 or 4 casts and a lot of little plucks - typical Whiting - bait robbing gits - and fish on, all 1/2 pound of it! Even though it was very wee it gave the Firefly a good bend, my mate was intrigued, might convert him yet... I had one more, same size and he had two in total before it was dark and just too cold, we could see two pubs from the jetty, it was too tempting. :-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Whiting??! Very good effort mate! In at last!! :p

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Good effort, Tim. Still haven't given my Firefly a chance yet. Good to see whiting added to the list of species on lures (feathers excluded!).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not much of a christening mind, but christened nevertheless... Myself and my mate went down Port Erin jetty at 9pm last night, it was blowing a hooley with a bitterly cold easterly blowing across the bay. We could see and hear the Whiting popping the surface all around us so I had a go at them. My mate was using some frozen razor shell and I was using a Keitech Swing Impact 2inch (if you think Xlayers smell you should stick your hooter in a bag of these!) on a size 4 barbless carp hook, carolina rigged with a splitty 18 in up the leader. Just letting it land then a slow retreive just under the surface. After 3 or 4 casts and a lot of little plucks - typical Whiting - bait robbing gits - and fish on, all 1/2 pound of it! Even though it was very wee it gave the Firefly a good bend, my mate was intrigued, might convert him yet... I had one more, same size and he had two in total before it was dark and just too cold, we could see two pubs from the jetty, it was too tempting. :-D
Hi Tim just wait until you hit a 50cm Pollack on the firefly you best know how to play your drag ;-)
I absolutely love my firefly, it is so much fun.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers, Jeremy. I'm hoping to take the Firefly out on the boat this week if the weather plays fair. I know where to find the big fellas!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nice work Tim !!! Only just caught up with this, as the (very welcome) explosion in catch-reports takes some keepin-up with !!

Lovely to hear of a different species being hooked :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Tim, great report !!!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Hi Tim
Good to see you getting out.
A mate of mine catches whiting on the fly rod down there at night using a luminous bead on a home tied fly.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Nige, there was a fluffer down last week or so. He said he'd had a shitty on a fly, that was probably your mate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts