The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having moved last week, I had the chance on saturday afternoon to pop out for an hour or two, down to the beach next to where I live. I now have a 30 second walk to get into bass holding territory :-D Its sandy beach for about 50-100yds with the odd head, then leading into an immense system of gulleys and runs and all sorts. It is stunning down there, and I will catch some good fish from there.

Conditions were my favourite, mild, overcast, stiff breeze almost in my face, water choppy, good clarity but with a nice milky tinge. Hardly had any lures with me as it was only a quick one, so waded out to knee deep and cast into thigh deep, and within ten minutes had this on the beach:

I know it doesn't look it for some reason, but it went a shade over 5lb on the Boga, I promise! My mate lives right next to where I was fishing and saw me playing the fish and came down to take a pic for me. He was a little confused when I went and returned it as I reckon he wanted fish for dinner! The fish fought like a bonefish in the shallow water, some superb runs ripping line off the Fireblood. It took the white/holo kind of Feed Shallow. I stopped and had a chat for half hour with my mate, then went and had a couple more casts and promptly had a fish that felt the same size roll off the hooks after 20 seconds of playing.

I then walked through a few gutters as the tide ebbed, and it was like wading a salmon river, crazy strong current, my wading stick was a god send.

I didn't fish any further, I just wanted to get an idea of the layout, where drains to where etc, but looks a cracking piece of coastline, that I am looking forward to getting very familiar with over the coming years.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Mark

A new unknown fishing spot on Jersey??? I thought the place was only a few square miles??? ;-)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nope, I'm not jealous at all. Far from it.

You lucky begger, Mark! 30 seconds from some bass holding ground including "an immense system of gulleys" ... Not only that but a sandy beach too for BBQ's and cold beers in the Summer.

Some guys have all the luck :eek:P

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking Shirley there Mark, lovely to know that you have such good fishing just a stones-throw away :D.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Great move Mark you planned that well 30 seconds and your fishing love it......

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers chaps! Will certainly be doing some hard fishing over the next two months, so a few more catch reports to come fingers crossed. Some of the runs I think will be much better at night, but I want to get to know the ground a little better, and even then only fish ebbs to start in the dark. This fish was two hours after high. Kev, I'm down at greve d'azette. I am ashamed to say I didn't really realize that the ground down there is so similar to the proper gutters in the SE. Feel free to offer any 'gutter experience' you might have!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There any more houses nearby for sale Mark? :-D

Well done, lovely first bass from your new beach:clap:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Done well Mark on new ground - nice to hit into a decent one so soon :)

I only live from the corner from there for 5 yrs and I've not fished it yet with lures , bait fished the slipways over highs a few yrs ago but thats it - I have done green Island many times with little luck but not this year.

Not got my head around night fishing on my own yet , but like your thought on dropping tide.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Kev, I'm down at greve d'azette. I am ashamed to say I didn't really realize that the ground down there is so similar to the proper gutters in the SE. Feel free to offer any 'gutter experience' you might have!
mark, there's some great fishing to be had down that area, had many fish 5lb + from down there over the years on bait, fly and spin, also seen some double's in less than 12" of water in the dark,

Not got my head around night fishing on my own yet , but like your thought on dropping tide.
dave, mark !!!!!

take this advice !!.

just because the water's going out, don't get compliancent, i very nearly had a fatal accident several years ago, tripped over a small rock must have only been a couple of inches high buried in the sand, came down hard and my head just missed a jagged rock by a couple of inches, twatted my shoulder and collar bone really hard when i came down and landed in about 4-6" of water, all because i was to eager to get fishing in the night, one reason even i don't wade out to the carame on my own any more in the small hours, being over 2 miles out wouldn't be fun if you had an accident.

all the best

kev

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nicely done Mr Sleep! I've always had a look round that way and up towards Green Island, used to live next door to it a few years ago, I've even found the occasional plug in the weed washed up on the beach. Might give ya a shout for a night trip, still haven't been brave enough to do it by myself round the south and SE, done it during the day but don't trust myself in the dark, even feel a bit sketchy in the day when the tide picks up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great fish Mark,Thats the amazing thing about bass,you learn something every time you go fishing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts