The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,just wondering what your thinking of having for christmas dinner this year,ie poultry,game etc.I love trying different things and gave up on goose a few seasons back,crikey it put me on the loo for 2 days solid,very greasy.Venison was ok but couldnt eat too much so now i stick with free range turkey but then had a phone call off my nephew over in holt asking if ide like fresh duck and pheasant for christmas eve...mmm has anybody tried pheasant,is it greasy?Also do you rate free range or think its a rip off?
cheers daz

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fish for me and on the beach this year...

Bloody hell how times change!

Pheasant is gamey and can be a bit dry, not a big fan myself.

Free range - like lures from Japan and red rods, does the same job, but somehow, just better!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ah the annual Scotch or vodka choice
Food on boxing day IF the head clears

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Not a big fan of Pheasant myself, likie the Aussie says ;-) , Dry, gamey and often with little lead shot in to surprise you!

Big rack of Sirloin for me, slathered and cooked in a mustardy crust. Deelitefuel :!:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Personally I can't understand anyone not liking goose as for me it's an essential part of Xmas, it also makes really good sandwiches to take to the football on Boxing day and the fat helps to make perfect roast potatoes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Xmas Day - Aberdeen Angus Prime Aged Rib on the Bone, slow BBQ'd to perfection.
Boxing Day - Big Ham, soaked, marinaded, slow cooked on BBQ.

I stopped cooking meat in oven years ago, I've got a enclosed BBQ that I slow indirect grill all meats, joints, cuts etc on at the back door all year round - I have it sussed big time and the meats are so tasty............. :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I love pheasant. Cooked right I don't think that it is dry. A couple of years ago I cooked some, having drawn & plucked (what a pain in the arris that is, ended up with feathers everywhere) the birds, one cock & one hen, myself & covered them with strips of streaky bacon before roasting in the oven. My wife & in laws, who'd never tried pheasant before, loved it. Give it (& the duck) a go I say.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Xmas Day - Aberdeen Angus Prime Aged Rib on the Bone, slow BBQ'd to perfection.
Boxing Day - Big Ham, soaked, marinaded, slow cooked on BBQ.

I stopped cooking meat in oven years ago, I've got a enclosed BBQ that I slow indirect grill all meats, joints, cuts etc on at the back door all year round - I have it sussed big time and the meats are so tasty............. :)
Can I come round yours?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Well i have plans that on xmas i am buggering off fishing to get away from relations, and than haveing a japanesse meal at a friends place after. Never did traditional when i could help it. Though i will agree with toby if you don't over cook pheasant it is a nice bird, Goose however never did get on with it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't eat bird so I have gammon at christmas. I'm hoping to wet a line again christmas day. Last christmas I went down a local (busy) bay to try out some new gear and slipped and ripped my trousers, all the way up past my do-dar! I had to walk back up the beach with my prime on display to every dog walker and there family. Not fun!! I can laugh bout it now though ;)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have never had anything other than Turkey, so I dont know what I'm missing really... I had pheasant the other day, but I'm not a fan. Which is a shame as we have plague proportions of the things over here, with no foxes to destroy them.

It all tastes the same on christmas day anyway, after a couple of bottles of rouge and a few brandies

·
Registered
362 Posts
Fresh Local Turkey, I make up the stuffing & drop it into the butchers a few days before Then he bones & rolls it & we pick it up on Christmas Eve.
Sometimes it's not ready & we have to go & wait in the pub next door. For hours sometimes!!
I know that there will be those that say it's not as moist without the bones in, but it's just so easy & tasty.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The big day is always turkey, we expermient on Christmas eve. last year was an amazing duck (Jamie Oliver recipe), it was stunning and we wanted another one!! This year is partridge.

I fid pheasant can be very dry if done wrong and also very strong, not sure if that's a very fresh one or a well hung (lol) one though.

My mate shoots and I can recommend wood pigeon breast meat for Xmas breakfast, got to be dead fresh for me though, prefer it to older "hung" bird.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great replies guys,oh am my in two minds.Wood pigeon breakfast??oh my!!partdridge,whats that like?One more thing guys and jeremy reminded me of it...the stuffing.Love homemade stuffing,great if youve got any secret recipes.Im also a lover of quail with orange but thinking of trying it with mango.The list goes on guys and i love reading the different ideas and ways people celebrate christmas...thanks daz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts