The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I noticed this part of the freshwater section is not really used. Is this because people do not really target chub on lures? Are they just not worth the effort. The reason I'm asking is my local river is supposed to have a good head of chub, and it would be another species to target for me.

If I wanted to target chub, what would be the best way to go about it?

YIS
Andy

· Registered
4,249 Posts
There should be a couple of threads on this somewhere Andy. I used to lure fish a small shallow brook for chub when I lived in the UK. I never got a chance to fish it in winter though. But I found small shallow diving plugs (I used the Manns baby minus but there are loads of others) very good. I also caught on simple blade mepps type spinners. After dark was very effective by the way.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
650 Posts
I fish for chub regularly when back home but never got the opportunity in UK as I havent fished in rivers. They are a relatively easy target on lures, prefering intense actions and vibrations but on a slow-medium and constant retrieve. Hence best lures would be spinners #1-2-3, small cranckbaits, small trout-spoons and as the water gets colder little softbaits (shads,grubs). If the fish seem "picky" try some cicadas and spinnertails.. Try to cast upstream and retrieve with the flow. Being cyprinids they wisen up very quickly on lures and you need to present the lure carefully. As mentioned above they can be caught at night as well. A very nice target with lures!
All the best

· Registered
380 Posts
Haven't lured much for chub in the winter but targeted them a fair bit in the summer.

I've found them very eager to take a lure as long as you don't spook them. Done very well on small alphabet plugs ( Manns One Minus etc ), Mepps spinners ( size 2 up to 5 ) are great fished in the streamier water. But on the right day then surface baits take some beating. Either the mini or full sized Jitterbugs are my favourite and the takes can be savage!

Sometimes find that a more subtle surface action is better and I therefore tend to cast the surface baits upstream and fish them down with the flow, producing a more subtle action rather than retrieving against the flow. Can definitely make a difference on the bigger fish.

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the late reply, been at work, but thanks for all the replies folks, it's much appreciated. It looks like another species I can now add to the list as potential for my lure fishing:-D

Kind Regards
Andy

· Registered
464 Posts
Chub are much more of a prospect in the summer. Not as keen to take lures in the winter, though odd ones will trip up. Summer chubbing can be very easy on little rivers, but more difficult on larger ones. Not spooking them before you cast is the biggest issue normally.

· Registered
4,249 Posts
Agree with Tim. Very spooky on the approach and the stream I fished was usually crystal clear. In fact the chub were as bad if not worse than small stream wild brownies in this regard. But once you managed to get a lure to them they were easy to catch and after dark was deadly. As I said earlier I never fished in winter though.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
221 Posts
Andy i have had a few recently in this colder weather and some quite reasonable ones but this time of year they are down deep like most fish, I've had them on soft plastics around the 2" size fluro colours 0ranges greens with a mix of silver. in the summer i had them on micro baits up in the top layers of waters. Try some of the of the smaller savage gear soft 4 pays and soft 4 play shads don't be put off by their size chub have big mouths and it will separate the pups from the big boys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.