chug bug | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

chug bug

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Sandeel

iv got zclaw,s and other good surface lures but i saw a friend ov mine with a ,chug bug, popper in mullet and i no they dont cost alot but i had 2 buy one just because ov that real silver chrome look to it. on a hot sunny day flashing on the walter it looks like a pretty cheap winner. can anyone let us no if they have had plenty ov bass on this lure. cheers

2. Sausage!

nothing on mine jon not a sniff but got good rattle gonna give it another go if nowt ya can have it :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sandeel

yeah thanks a lot ov the time im 2 keen on putting a lure on that works but im going 2 force myself 2 try other lures soon.

4. Throbbing Member

Jon

Read through the Welsh catch report section to see how good Chug Bugs can be in the right place & in the right hands.

The Welsh lads like them a lot & that is because they are good fish catchers & cheap enough.

5. Perch

Never got anything on mine either. It was the first surface lure I ever tried and I must have thrashed the North Sea near to death with it

Stick to the Feed popper now

6. Throbbing Member

It's a Marmite lure for sure.

You either love it or hate it.

7. Pollock

The big bug is a big bass magnet!

Cheers Nath

8. Striper

Chug bug in my box is as important as a reel on my rod;).. in fact if i dont get any response in the first 10 mins(in the right conditions) i start getting sweaty palms.You can aid the casting with the bug by taking the xmas tree off the tail.Not all marks fish well with surface lures but if you do have one try a bug(t,shad) and keep at it.We have surface marks over here but things can change daily,one day popping will produce but the next day wtd will,then sub surface maybe.
    cheers daz

9. Salmon

Never had a sniff on them, BUT I have fished with someone that hammered bass out (I think the smaller version) in Hot Pink Mullet, Whilest I struggled. Fished right, they catch plenty of bass.

10. Pollock

I have had hundreds on bass on a chug bug sometimes it is the only surface lure they are interested in

• Like Like x 1
  11. Striper

Never had a fish on one.......will be looking to changel that this year

12. Pollock

I havent had any bass on them last year but saying that didnt use them.. about 8 years ago i lived a stones through away from the beach and often wondered over for a few chucks on a nice evening, didnt even know of the lures i do now back then and only had the likes of tobys and a chug bug.. well that chug bug caught me my first ever lure caught bass that was looking back about 4-5lb and was caught by spitting and pausing.. i saw it following it and thought it might of been a mullet as there were loads around, ran out of retrieve so twitched it and paused.. it nailed it right in front of my feet and it screamed of! i pursued with it and had a fair few on it in the end but mostly smaller bass

13. Striper

oh.....the chug bug..............what can i say..............its been catching bass...and big ones at that........since before alot of you dudes were a twinkle in the postmans eye...lol..............a bass is a bass is a bass..........and i refuse not to believe that if you cast a chugbug out into the sea and theres a bass within a 100yds....it WILL find it and absolutely hammer it........if you have honestly spent an hour using one and not caught( as long as you are fishing in fairly shallow water....lets say upto 10ft max) then i would put my house on it that there just werent any bass there to find it !! (or they were all blind and deaf)

but for all you folks who just dont get it..........please pm me and i will give you my address to send your unwanted bugs to............

have to say that i have actually been sent a bug as a gift from a forum member who just hates them...............

so i will make space in the loft for all my new "arrivals" from the rest of you lol............

yes they are big and ugly, loud........average casters but i would turn round and go back home even if halfway to a mark when i realised i had forgotten mine...........difficult to do that though as they seem to be in all my lure boxes,coat pockets, fishing bags, and even loose in the boot of my car.............

would maybe worth doing some kind of regional poll to find out if is just a north wales thing.........

• Like Like x 5
  14. Sea Trout

The bigbug is a fantastic lure responsible for many a large bass. The medium sized one can be a very usefull weapon when its calmer, or when the bass are swirling the big bug but not attacking it proper.
    Always have a bug in the A-team.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wrasse

I have both a skitter pop and a chug bug in my box, never caught on the bug but loads on the skitter pop... think ive got into a vicous circle, more i catch on the skitter pop the less i was to use the chug bug. each to thier own

mind you, i cant find my skitter pop now, and have a big and a small chug bug... so that may change :D

can people stop talking about bassing OTT, im going insane :p

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  16. Sausage!

what conditions do you use them in darren?

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

to be honest trev its not just the chug bug but all surface lures are pants up here but fish south of here,shallow divers are the way forward up here,very strange,wonder if it could be the warmer climate and waters?

17. Senior Member

i think richie that 2 mark i showed you yesterday on a night time they will work I'm going have a go on a night time and the other method we talked about will work there
    regards ian

18. Striper

Ideal conditions for me Richie,
    1st>overcast
    2nd>good clarity
    3rd>wind coming from behind me to flatten the water but still a mild ripple.
    cheers daz

• Like Like x 3
  19. A

20. Wrasse

Not used that one Matt but have seen them, my dad has a tackle shop and sells some sidewinder stuff. Reckon I wouldn't touch most if any of their hard lures. Finish on that one is terrible and weak hooks. The sidewinder sandeels (long thin paddletail shad) however, are probs one of my best lures!