chug bug | Page 3 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

chug bug

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Striper

• Like Like x 1
  2. Perch

I reckon that must have been a lost welsh bass Brian !

3. Amberjack

all the n wales boys should have the "buggers bumble" I reckon

havent caught on mine but I have a deep selection of TW lures and it gets overlooked

will put it out there more this year!

good thread, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pollock

5. Pike

The old chug bug remains a mystery to me. I do about 2 thirds of my plugging in the Kent/Sussex/Hampshire coast and about a third in North Wales. Caught on it in North Wales, not a sniff in England.

6. Perch

Chug bug is brill, caught my first bass on one. Always keep one in the a team box..... Love the way it spits water, or it can be worked really slowly.. It is defo one of my go to lures.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.498728,-2.889829

7. Striper

Old, plain, cheap - and bloody effective. My first year if pluggin (2008) this was my top lure and I caught all my fish off the top in West Wales. T-Shad seems as good a colour as any although the bright chartreuse seems good as well. For the money you can't beat them in all honesty. The trick for me is a steady cadenceon the retrieve: cast-pause-pop-pause- bloop-pause all the way in. I tend not to overdo the pop and make huge splashes, rather pushing a "lump" of water in front of the lure or "blooping". A very good bass plugger friend of mine only uses a couple of hard lures and the 'Bug is one of them. I think conditions need to be relatively flat for me to want to use them and they don't cast miles, but there is no doubt they work. I have had bass to 6lb on mine in the past. I do favour the Z-claw more these days but if you are just starting out or are on a budget, get some Bugs in your box.

8. Mackerel

well chug bug very underated been round long time they old school lures that lot forget about due to the new lures that out cast them and look lot better ive used them had good results but as so many new surface lures out there we tend go with craze of whats top dog at time forget about ones that been catching for years so for price id say try one just might suprise you if conditions are right. one more point theres one colour that very underated like (red head) lot guys on here dont even have red head in there box in any type of lure as for most types fishing pike perch bass etc they can be killer colour i had few on red head chug bug and other lures so be worth a try its thumbs up in my book cheers.rod

9. Wrasse

10. Striper

I love working bugs around weed margins especially if theres good current...nothing better than seeing nervous water around your lure and thinking is it or isnt it then "BANG";)
    cheers daz

11. Sandeel

thanks people after reading 5 pages im going to give it a go for sure bloody hell didn,t no the chug bug was so popular. well when it gets to that time ov the month when the bass start to break the surface if or when i catch on it i reckon everyone will hear from me. still think i would shout louder if i caught on a savage sand eel though lol.cheers all.

12. Perch

Just move to Wales Jon - you'll be fine:-?

13. Minnow

Do you remember the Welsh lads name Sean, I fished that mark a good few times and did well on the bug . I also remember meeting and fishing alongside a local guy who I think was an upholsterer !!

14. Perch

You and Dennis are so right Daz , if the conditions are good for top waters you can not beat seeing the water move and then the fish take the lure .

15. Perch

lets hope they work for me, was looking through my old tackle box and had a good find, I have had them some time as the price marked on them was £4.00 .
    changed the hooks, these spilt ring pliers make life easy.
    [​IMG]

16. Amberjack

Hey Jon, ,myself and fellow member Craig Russell have a similar jinx on savage gear eels

we have a little bet on between us, first man to nail a bass on a SG eel (head and body as out of the packet) buys the other a packet of eels!

you are not alone!

17. Bass

When I die and go to Hell the Devil will be standing at the gates with a box of chug bugs and tell me I have to fish with one for eternity, give me a feed popper anyday.

In defence of the chugbug I only really used it in super rough conditions where my allie mag failed to put a dent in the chop. I saw a one bass follow my chug bug in around 2007. That was the only result I ever had from the ugly silver bucket bomb . I fished one from 2005 - 2008 :badlol:

18. Blenny

a couple of years ago poppers where all i could get fish on up here mate,6 quid cheapo off ebay and other lads up here have bought one and caught on them to,dont think its up here but more the mark you fish
    peter

19. Bass

Hi Mark, In case sean does not pick this up, it would have been him you were alongside. Maybe now there will be a wedding in the summer now you are both reunited!

20. Perch

hi marc...that was me mate.still have nightmares about that session,shaking my head on the drive home "what am i doing wrong" i still have the bloddy thing and it's still a virgin....good to hear from ya,if youre ever back in this neck of the woods pop me a pm,iv'e a score to settle :-D

sorry brendan i'm spoken for just at the moment.:wink: