chug bug | Page 4 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

chug bug

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Sea Trout

Was this the bug'ger?
    2003 Marc.JPG
    You wouldnt recognise him now - he's a shell of his former good self ;-)

2. Perch

Not sure Ian...all i can remember was a great big beaming smile....

3. Minnow

Hi Sean,

I was sure it was me you had fished with as there could not have been too many welsh lads using the bug over there back then. I hope you are well and catching a few bass. I am mystified that you are not catching on the bug. It is one of the best lures for big bass in particular . Our small group of 4 or 5 anglers has accounted for more than 10 doubles on the bug in the last decade. Sure other lures catch big fish as well but i dont think any other lure has caught as many large fish as the bug ! My advice would be to persevere with it as it is a proven fish catcher. You just need to gain some confidence with your technique and you will be away.

I have not seriously fished your patch since 2003/4 ?? when we bumped into each other, I will be sure to get in touch if we are in the vicinty this year.

All the best

Marc

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Now thats a shot from back in those days Ian, That has to be about my favourite rock in Ireland.

4. Perch

Hi Marc. small world eh! spent too long on the chug and tango dancer with very poor results but i will dig it out again,now fitted with single decoys.the patchinko is the boyo for me nowdays wouldnt even consider going on a session without it,it took me a long long time the get my first off the top,stayed with the old fashioned gear too long i'm afraid and working the topwaters with the wrong tools was a disaster in hindsight...awating delivery of a tenryu at the moment...6 weeks...i'll give the chug a new lease of life when the red rod arrives. cheers

5. Sprat

I'm the opposite to some guys on this thread, I've thrashed my local patch with patchinko's and other top water lures and never had a sniff.

I've caught ALL my top water caught bass on the humble chug bug.

One tip I've found about them though is if the tinsel on the end treble has come off, the catch rate drops by easily 70% :shock:
    Seriously.........so much so that I won't use one unless the tinsel is in place. The first thing I do with a new bug is to whip the tinsel on hard, because the little rubber band thing is pants.
    I've had bass come up and attack my lure when just the end treble is bobbing about in the water when I've been rooting through my bag for something!

So all you guys who remove your tinsel.....pm me, I'll take it off your hands!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pollock

Dave,

I totally agree with you there about the tinsel, I also swear that this makes a difference in your catch rate using it,although I dont use the chug bug much these days I used it a lot back in the mid 90,s as I could not get hold of any other make of top water and when the tinsel eventually fell apart I would whip some Chartuse and Pearl Floss on the end treble , I also noticed that increasing your treble size made a improvement to catch rates.

Hwyl

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandeel

i might wack a bit ov strong glue around it then thanks for the tip r do that cheers.

8. Striper

Got my bug back yesterday off one of the lads....gotta give it a clean down and add some new hardware...........

9. Sandeel

What Conditions work beat for the Bug???

10. Perch

Do any of you use the Madfish Bug ? Does anyone think the Chug Bugs rattle has much to do with its catching properties , the Madfish rattle is different , any thoughts or preferences ?

11. Striper

as someone who uses the bug a hell of a lot,i cant say that i have noticed a sudden drop in my catch rate when the tinsel has departed...............its possible that there has been and i just didnt put 2 and 2 together...........and just thought that the shoal had moved on, which they do tend to do at the marks i fish.

its a difficult one to be absolutely sure on.............and for me to be convinced i would have to be in the middle of a shoal .pulling them out on one with the tinsel and then change to one without and see if they just stop taking instantly.......but then put the one with tinsel back on again to see if they start taking again...

have had some great sessions with tinsel-less bugs ........6 fish in half an hour on one occasion last year if i remember rightly............

but it looks like i am off up into the loft in a minute to raid the xmas decorations...lol

surely it cant only be a bug thing??.........so will adding some tinsel to the end trebble of a patchinko increase its catch rate by 70%................. now thats a mouth watering prospect!!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. Throbbing Member

Are you regular bug catchers using the big bug or the smaller bug with better success rates??

13. Pollock

Generally speaking I've had much more success with the big bug Nigel. But as this is fishing there are times when the bass want the smaller version.
    If I was only allowed one it would be the bigger one every time. It seems to work wether its calm or rough, clear or murky.
    A versatile and effective lure!

Cheers Nath

14. Pollock

Thats strange Nathan we have more fish n the smaller ones may be ours are feeding on fairly small sandeels

15. Pollock

Hi Alan.
    One of the marks we fish is a small estuary with lots of small Sandeel and it's one of the few places that the smaller bug out fishes the big one.
    Throughout the rest of the N. Wales coast the bigger one seems to get a lot more interest for me. I'd say it drew a better stamp of fish too.
    This is just my personal findings though and others may have had other results as yourself.

Cheers Nath

16. Plastic Fantastic

I fish a lot in North Wales and I recon the small (diet) model out fishes the big one 3/1 for me.

I love the small one in the basic silver shad pattern and have used them for many years.

17. Sandeel

like the sound ov that tinsel on a patchinko, out ov all the lures i own i only have 1 patchinko and iv not had it that long because my mate has loads ov them and we fish the same place and never caught on them, but give him a z claw and he would catch all day long so to speak.

18. Striper

Hi Nige ,I would say ive caught more bass on the small bug than the big bug but larger fish fell to the bigger bug.One hot evening when the midges were eating me alive i landed 12 bass up to 3lb on the small bug,they just couldnt resist.I gave up on the big bug 20 minutes prior.On another occasion at first light i gave up with the delicate approach with the small bug so clipped on the larger and beached 4 bass ,biggest just over 6 3/4lb.If ive got a large bug clipped on and fish are showing
    im very confident of landing a decent fish..and knowing this gives me the jeebees:) thats why i love it so much.
    cheers daz

19. Striper

Well if i get one fish on the bug it will go up for auction for the site........no interest in it, but i may catch a fish on it before it goes....new hardware on there now and its all rubbed down ready for action...............

20. Blanker

Glad to see I'm not the only one to have no success on the bug, Over the past couple of years I've fished spots where literally any surface/sub-surface lure gets interest until I throw out the bug then....nothing. I'm not going to give up on it though, has too much of a good rep to be a write off :)