chug bug | Page 5 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

chug bug

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Striper

Ok chug lovers is there one pattern that kicks arxe that John can save the pennies for...Im going for...
    1>11cm T,shad
    2>11cm cbs mullet
    for the bigger figure:)

2. Sprat

Tennessee Shad definitely and I always use the 11cm, it keeps the schoolies away!

Regarding the tinsel, funnily enough I've put some on the end treble of my patchinko for this season.....it'll be interesting if it makes a difference

3. Striper

a few reasons to use a t shad 11cm bug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

funny thing is.......that Daz said almost all of his fish get caught on the front trebble............hadnt really thought about it that much but just looked at these few..........and now just looked at pics of many more and its mostly front trebble hook ups.............wonder why???

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Perch

nice fish Trevor.
    t shad hope Malcolm has plenty in stock,
    just thinking about starting to go fishing and then I saw the snow on the mountains so the straits will be no good.lets hope it clears quickly....................

5. Sprat

I tend to find the bigger fish take the middle treble as they usually smash into the lure full on, the smaller fish are normally on the back treble. If I was forced to remove a treble, it would be the back one every time!

Unless you get one on the front & back treble of course.......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Perch

Maybe it's so they can swallow the lure head first as they would a real fish Trev , like tope or pike .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. Striper

lol

not done that one yet !!!what was the fight like? i always imagine it would be worse than getting them on their own as they would be pulling in different directions alot of the time?

one of the reasons that i havnt yet tried using a teaser..........but am planning to have a dabble this year

8. Pike

People may know about my fixation with this little lure..Nearly ALL my bass over last 3-4years fell to it! Im not going to bang on about it. But will say, you once could get the tinsel from Sainsburys ..In the gift wrap dept ! Gift bows! Try craft shops or clintons etc

Attached Files:

9. Pollock

I bought this Chug Bug the other day as the colour intrigued me ,the reason why is because the most successful top water I have ever used was a clear Storm Thunder dog.

I have caught on most colours of Chug Bug but once I saw this one I thought I would buy it as it might have an edge to it and give it a go later on in the year.

[​IMG]

Gary

10. Perch

Gary, I have that exact lure, I also have a black one with brown hi lights on it. I guess light conditions light or clear lure and darker conditions use the darker lure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Pollock

Peter,

I found that the "clear" Thunder Dog lure worked better when used on calm clear water and had an edge over the other top waters , I really could not tell if the Bass were attacking the lure or the holographic tinsel on the end treble as the fish had small fry or Prawns already in their mouths and the lure was much larger than the bait fish they were feeding on but this experience certainly got me thinking as the lure obviously did the job of attracting the fish in the first place, I caught a few on it but without the tinsel I did not get so many hits and this is a fact.The Clear Chug Bug on the other hand will be great to experiment with when the water gets bit choppy in clear water.

I cant comment on your black and brown one as I never used that colour as it was not available back then.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  12. Perch

I think this will be great for clear water I have had most of my fish on Ghost pattens or lures I have sanded the finish off , then again I do tend to fish a lot in bright clear conditions .
    This season I'm going to try a clear Z Claw .

13. Pollock

Ray,

I totally agree with you, these Clear "Ghost " patterns certainly have an edge in clear water and the same patterns apply to divers too.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  14. Striper

cant remember the name of it now but i have been fishing with Nath a few times on bright sunny days and gin clear water when we have really struggled and he always manages to winkle fish out with a lure he calls his "fish in a lure" its a clear surface popper with a little baitfish painted on the inside.........certainly does the trick and is something i am planning on creating for myself using a clear lure and painting a small fish on each side

Gary, did you get that clear bug locally??

15. Junior Member

Chug Bug brilliant

16. Sandeel

love the look off that iv never seen one like that before, just by looking at it u could add on any bit off colour to it at any given day.

17. Pike

Ive always used the silver mullet pattern (bought in bulk from the states!) with awesome results. I dont think the colour is not quite so critical as divers its the surface disturbance ripples and rattle noise etc that do the biz. Saying that most my lures are black over silver. I put pilchard oil on mine to..it creates a nice slick which I'm sure bass are programmed to seek out visually and nose'ly (it affects a massive area on the water which I work the chug through). I'm sure they hit it coz it smells right when they are finicky..! I have quite a few fish on a dead unworked lure too! So many ways to work it! LET ME AT EM!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 2