The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, for the ones that use this lure,how many of you ditch the glitzy tail.i do, get that extra few yards on the cast.plus whats your favourite size and pattern,cheers daz.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
After reading 'Hooked on Bass' i increased my collection of these - beggered if i can catch on them though !! I know that some people swear by them, but i just can not get off the mark on them !!! I'll be very interested in the responses to this thread.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Daz, I have done well on the bigger size in both Tennessee Shad and the Chartreuse Shad - in fact my biggest fish was on the Charteuse Shad. I have a small Tennesse Shad which I will use a lot more this year. As for the flash, I leave it there until it falls off of it's own accord. It's a great top water lure and in my top 5.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have the smaller size bug in Black, and blue over silver, I have caught on them, but never when popping them. Retrieving them with a slow gentle WTD has worked. Tried the pop and wait technique, basicially a gentle pop then wait for the rings to spread ten foot or so from the lure, before another gentle pop-but no luck.
I know some people rave about Chug Bugs, but to be honest for me either a Super Spook, or a Mag Popper is a better bet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use chugbugs sometimes, also caught bass with them. I think this lure is under-valued, though, to be honest, for some reason I do not put it in my bag too often. In the end I prefer to use a LC Gunfish, or Xorus Frosty. But the times I used the chugbug it worked well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The small red head is not only my ideal woman :wackit: but a cracking lure for schoolies in the estuaries up here too!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
ChugBugs in both sizes are one of my best ever plugs.
The small ones are wonderful fish catchers for me and Iv'e had lots of Mackerel on them as well as Bass.
They dont seem to scare the fish thet sometimes other plugs do etc.

I have even had big launce hitting the small chugger.
The whole range has just been re-vamped with new colours and a bit of fluff etc.

·
Banned
792 Posts
...ChugBugs in both sizes are one of my best ever plugs.
The small ones are wonderful fish catchers for me and Iv'e had lots of Mackerel on them as well as Bass...
Howdy Nick,
mackerel, thats a nice tip, will try this year in denmark.

So, caught perch on the 06er and zander on 08er ChugBugs. Did not try the 011er till now...

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
357 Posts
Big Chug Bug --- remove feathered hook -- fit standard trebel --- best colour is green mackerel with orange belly --- works for me.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Big Chug Bug --- remove feathered hook -- fit standard trebel --- best colour is green mackerel with orange belly --- works for me.
There is deffo something about the white belly and a 'small' amount of bright orange incorparated in it that seems to get a very good response.

I like the Tennasee shad pattern with orange throat.

I have always thought that from below all the predator can see is the dark Silloete (cant spell,blame comprehensive education in 70s and early 80s) but the orange throat on white belly I believe 'does' make a difference.
Maybee its that last split second inspection before the hit that makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Took over 50 fish on the small chug bug last season the bright yellow one is my favorite colour fished in shallow water over weed beds or right up against the rocks where a current runs through

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for the large size, the t,shad without the tail does it for me and in the smaller size is one i won from the us auction site.dark back, silver underside with a faint red line along its sides,again the tail removed...i think its the silver shad.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Took over 50 fish on the small chug bug last season the bright yellow one is my favorite colour fished in shallow water over weed beds or right up against the rocks where a current runs through
Which/whats the difference in size of the chug bugs ive never seen the smaller one,

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
large size 110mm 26g,small 90mm 12g.one warm evening last june i had 12 bass on the small silver shad.nothing better than watching them smashing the lure,cheers daz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts