chug bugs | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

chug bugs

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Sausage!

just got given some small chug bugs about half the size of the bigger ones ile put a pic on has anyone had success on the small ones too aswell as the big uns
    001.JPG
    after the big debate on these gonna give them a whirl so any advice on how to fish these would be great,presume just like a popper hey?

2. Perch

I just nudge them along two or three times not to hard and leave them Richie "not that I'm a master" .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

This is my chug bug routine ...Pick your spot and cast it,as soon as it hits the water make a few splashes and wait for a few seconds.Then a couple of splashes and pause and repeat the process aswel as slowly cranking the handle to take up the slack.I only splash the lure when its looking directly at me never when its side on.If you notice the water simmering around your bug you have interest.If you get smashed and no hook up leave it static but take up any slack and wait..if no more hits splash the lure again and pause... repeat again.Never strike when it smashes you...slowly lift the rod until you feel the tension taking up the slack with a few turns of the handle.Note:On the splash and pause retrieve if you notice your bug has vanished and theres tension on the line your rear treble has hooked your leader and will deep dive into snags...lift the rod high and very slowly reel in.As i said its only my routine and im sure much more info will be added by other chuggers;)
    cheers daz

• Like Like x 10
  4. Pollock

Ritchie, a regular fishing buddy of mine took plenty of bass last year on an 8cm Chug Bug, the biggest being one of 67cm.

As well as popping them he also also lets them drift with the occasional twitch. On the local reefs though, we've had more bass on surface poppers on a straight retrieve than we have when popping them. The wake can be enough for the bass to find the lure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sausage!

cheers guys thats good info that,didnt realise you fish them this slow ,going to give them a good go and see what happens,do you get much on them?

6. Striper

No probs Richie,yeh the bug is responsible for many beached bass over here...it really is a killer.
    cheers daz

7. Striper

i fish along side a fair few others off and on............and one thing that almost shocks me is the speed of their retrieves with the bug.........so fast that its whizzing and skipping accross the surface.............yet they do still seem to catch , but my approach is so different.................

cast out..........splash down,straightaway a couple of big noisy pops..........then wait 5 seconds........and start a steady but sloowwww retrieve with a good big pop/splash about every 5 seconds......................just keep going doing the same thing, then if i see a boil/swirl behind the bug..........stop the retrieve for 5 seconds......then contnue the same retrieve........sometimes they will hit it again during the pause and sometimes once you start the retrieve again...........

sometimes the same fish will try 3,4,5 or more times to grab it...without a hook up...............if this seems to be happening alot then a change to a smaller lure may be what is needed to induce a full on hit..............

unfortunately Richie none of this counts unless you live in north wales......... lol...........

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chub

Hi Trev and all, I have noticed that when i watch other people working a chug bug or any other surface lure, it always looks like that person is working the lure much faster than you are. I dont think they are, its just that you are looking at their lure at a different angle to the lure you are working in yourself.

9. Striper

I like using that method in the straits Andy,casting up current away from the weed beds then twitching it slightly as it passes them,then slightly bigger splashes as the bow in the braid starts to straighten out,
    cheers daz

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

Ive often wondered that Steve,i remember telling my lad to slow it down,almost pulling my hair out but when got out of the water and stood next to him it seemed slower than my retrieve.

10. Striper

Steve funny how we all think alike...............i have always wondered if it only looks really fast because i am looking from the side....??

maybe comparing the time the retrieve takes on a similar length cast would tell us more accurately

11. Plastic Fantastic

Richie those small (diet) chuggers are some of the Very best surface lures out there,they have been around for a long time..........

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sausage!

got them given mate,but going to give them a good go due to some of the praise they get on here