Circles on metals? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Circles on metals?

Discussion in 'Metal Lures' started by {name}, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Striper

Had a good few pollack on various metals at a deep-water mark a couple of weeks ago but the trebles caused a bit too much damage to the fish for my liking. I've decided to use some casting jigs with assist hooks and change the trebles on the dexter wedges, connemara krill, madfish etc. to singles.
    Just wanted to know if anyone has had success with circle hooks on their metals? I was very sceptical of circles in my bait days but after the first session of pollack fishing with a sliding float I was a convert. Dozens of fish on the mackerel strip and probably 95% or more hooked in the "scissors".
    I'm guessing they would prevent a few snags while dragging the lure through the kelp stalks.

2. Bass

Tried them on sp's but no hook ups as always buried, tried them on the flies, but not long enough to see if there was a difference. Got stacks you can have if you want some to try.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Striper

Cheers David. I've fitted some to the dexters and connemara krill. They seem fine but need to test them at the mark. Put size 1/0 on the small stuff and 3/0 on the bigger dexters. I'd planned to try them on the float, fished like a mackerel strip but using a senko or similar lightly nicked through the head.

4. Pollock Supporting Member

Be interested to see how this works for you. Struggling to see it though, being as they are designed to be used on swallowed baits, and then slowly winding into fish, not quick hits and striking bites.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bass

I've used singles on metals in the past and they've worked fine. Never tried circles though. Size 1 to 3/0 and got to be Sakuma Manta 540s for me especially if the fish need to be lifted up rocks. Maybe rig both and see if there's any difference in hook ups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Striper

I'm hoping it won't make too much difference, Mike. The pollack seem to engulf the whole thing, be it metal or mackerel strip. Some of the metals were in the throat area so possibly the circles might bite in the scissors as the lure pulls out of the mouth. Planning to try some with normal singles and some with circles, I'll post a report when the "results" are in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bass

They hook up on weedless hooks so I can't see there being a problem with circles...........there's one way to find out for sure:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Salmon

I keep meaning to experiment more with circles, or maybe semi circles on lures. When I went through a stage of loving the peeboy, I started making my own assists, and the hookups were all nice and clean using single hooks on the assist cord, so even that is an improvement on trebles.

Also, David, re the circles on soft plastics, when I was reading about tarpon lures, I came across some interesting styles of rigging using circles, have a look here:
    http://blog.saltwaterexperience.com/blog/2016/8/12/circle-hooks-and-soft-plastics

I like the idea.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Striper

Mark, that sp in the pic is how we used to rig the mackerel strip. I'm sure it would work under the float using a senko or similar.

10. Striper

Spent a bit of time over the last couple of weeks accumulating various bits and pieces with a view to getting rid of the trebles on my metals, principally for the deep-water pollack fishing but also the trout/bass metals. Removed the trebles from a numbers of lures, mainly Dexter wedges, connemara krill and madfish. Some lures were fitted with Sakuma Chinu singles, straight to the split ring. A couple of connemara krill and madfish got rear-only assists with circles and the big dexter wedges had 4/0 circles fitted. Fitted a couple of connemara krill with rear assists with 1/0 jig hooks and also had an HTO jig with a front assist that I had to modify slightly as the solid ring it came with was knackered. Two small krill were given small circles, straight to the split ring. It was just a general mix-up of hooks to sort out what would work and what wouldn't. Overall it was a success, the main points as follows:

All the methods caught pollack
    Every fish that took the lure was landed. (couple of missed "taps" but these were not serious takes.)
    All fish were hooked either in the "scissors" or the front part of the mouth. Nothing was deep hooked.
    All fish swam off strongly, not floundering on the surface.
    Only lost three metals in the session. This was due to me deliberately letting the lures touch bottom and then retrieving them through the kelp/rocks. Normally, touching bottom here means instant snagging, it really is brutal terrain. The circles, especially, allowed me to get really deep and still get the lure back. A huge plus point.

As this was a first attempt these are the things I would change for next session:

The smaller Owner circles, size 2 & 1, had small eyes which meant that although they fitted direct to the split ring there wasn't much "swing" on the hook. I feel a proper jigging hook with a larger eye or maybe a very short, thin-braid assist might be better.
    A couple of times when I checked the hook after landing a fish the eye of the hook had worked itself slightly under the split ring. It was nowhere near the point where it would come away but still not ideal. Possibly use a short assist to a solid ring or maybe the larger eye of a jigging hook would prevent this. It affected only the small, thin hooks rigged straight to the split ring and not the bigger ones.

Graham spent a bit of time with the float set-up as in Mark's post above. He had a few hits but nothing stuck. This could be down to small fish picking at the lure but the cross wind and lumpy sea made float fishing difficult. On the right day I'm sure the set-up will take fish so we'll be giving it another shot later on. Graham did get a decent pollack on the SG eel to add to the lures that "captured".

Have to say I really enjoyed making the assists, thanks mainly to some old threads on here with loads of info, and the next batch will be in production soon. Bought some nice casting and slow jigs but wanted to get my technique sorted out before throwing them into Satan's lair!

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Pike

Interesting summary Paul. Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bass

A very informative piece, it will be a long while before I get my fishing stuff out of storage, but I've got oodles of circles and some big octopus hooks to try out?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Striper

It won't be that long. I'm needing my ghillie back up here.

• Funny Funny x 1