The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to that one too as I have never washed braid (intentionally) in the last ten years or so of using it. Would hate to think I have invested in this YGK 8 straand and am not looking after it properly!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I use to soak my reel spools loaded with braid in a bucket of fresh water for a day or two to stop the salt crystallizing in between the layers,it seemed to clean the line the at same time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Until I read Gary's post there, I must admitt that I was kinda wondering what it is that might be washed from the line. Only thing I came up with (and born from the experience of fishing Harwich Harbour for 40 years) was oil from the seas surface. Usually diesel thats been spilled by fishermen etc. But yeaah, there's the salt of course. Mind you, how long are you talkking about the line needing washing? If after every trip, then aassuming we're startimg with monday morning, then I have been chucking plastic at least 6 times so far this week and still only got seaweed to show for my efforts, lol. Hopefully when this wind eases it will be a bit better proposition. Anyway, I digress...... So would the braid need rinsing or whatever after each trip or only when it is not expected to be being put to work again for a few days or more??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I wash my braids and re treat them with a braid spray.

I say I wash them, but only the silicon coated ones really. The hard coated ones, I rinse under the tap and leave em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts