The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Has anyone found any significant difference between straight clips and clips with a swivel?
and the million dollar question, what is considered to be the best and the best make?
There appears to be a number of viewpoints but this is the best forum for responses from people who actually fish!
Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian!

I use these Decoy Egg clips for hard lures in size 2 or 3 and found them excellent.

http://www.mrfishjersey.com/fishing-tackle/swivels-and-clips/decoy-egg-snap-size-3.html
Yep, i'm with Nick on this one. I converted to these Decoy snaps back in April, and it'll be my clip of choice ongoing. I was initially using the 3's, but then got my hands on the 2's & 1.5's. I would say that the 2's are great, but the 1.5's are probably still plenty strong enough (rated to about 37lbs if my memory serves me correctly).

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I use a clip, not sure which one. Quantum I think and I am impressed. Very strong and seem to allow the lure to work just fine.

I have in the past used swivel clips like the JB clip but in all honesty no swivel type clip ever seems to have made any real difference to line twist. You can see my braid is all twisted but not too badly to effect anything (would it ever get that bad?) and to be fair I just need to hold the line and reel it up with nothing on the end to sort it out.

The only issue with links rather than something small like a JB clip is that they do not fit through rod eyes, but then my two main lure rods stay set up in the back of the van anyway, both halves together and lure still rigged... Bad I know but hey, I fish more than most.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Brian welcome to the forum. I use the Jb swivel clips mentioned above and find them to be fine i use size 2 rated 10kg

·
Registered
865 Posts
a use Varivas Nice Clips and have never had any problems with them, have used swivels in past but prefer using these clips as they are smaller and its less to put fish off etc

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen, thank you for the very quick responses and the information contained therein. I will be guided accordingly for my future purchases and hope that others may benefit from such advice on the forum.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yep, i'm with Nick on this one. I converted to these Decoy snaps back in April, and it'll be my clip of choice ongoing. I was initially using the 3's, but then got my hands on the 2's & 1.5's. I would say that the 2's are great, but the 1.5's are probably still plenty strong enough (rated to about 37lbs if my memory serves me correctly).
I'd been using the 3's and thought they were excellent, then by accident I got the 2's this time round and when I was tying a new knot to the clip I had one open up on me with just a gentle pull on the lure! I'm going to try the 4's next time and see if a bigger clip gives the lure more movement

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I'd been using the 3's and thought they were excellent, then by accident I got the 2's this time round and when I was tying a new knot to the clip I had one open up on me with just a gentle pull on the lure! I'm going to try the 4's next time and see if a bigger clip gives the lure more movement
I tend to use larger Decoy clips on my bigger lures, and vice versa. I agree with you Rob, I feel that the clip size does make a difference in the lures movement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts