The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With four days off work I decided to spend some time on the Co Down coast . there was a few sea trout and bass marks I wanted to fish

I loaded up the landrover with my gear and left Belfast around lunchtime on Saturday , an hour later I was fishing for sea trout on the shores of Strangford lough

The best times for fishing this mark was a few hours before HW , my thrd cast and it was fish on , shortly followed by fish off :(

I continued casting in the classic fish searching arc for another half hour or so.. I was just about to move when I heard a splash to my right , turning I saw the rings where the fish had risen about 25 yds away

Lifting my line with a roll cast I tuned to the rise, double hauled and shot .. two strips and bang
It felt like a good fish and he went like a torpedo leaping clear of the water at the end of his run , praying he would stay on I eventually got him to the shore

As you can see by the next photo I was lucky he stayed on

That fly has taken more seatrout for me and others than anything else i've tied over the years ... it has to be my killer sea trout fly :D

I fished on for another hour but nothing showed ... I decided to pack up and drive to my bass mark ,

Conditions looked ideal for the bass as I drank coffee and watched the tide flood in , there was one particular bit I wanted to fish and it would be a four hours before the tide started to flood it again .. I decided to put the tent up and have a snooze .. setting the alarm for 20: 00 I retired to my tent . it turns out I had no need to set the alarm , the bloody wind woke me at 19:00

Northerly blowing across the shore, it the surf came up and the wind strengthened ,, water clarity went to hell and it was game over

I checked the online forecast and it was supposed to drop at around 04:00 and swing round to the west ... decided to stay put with the hopes of fishing the hw the next afternoon .. The thing about weather forecasters is they rarely get it right and today was no exception .. ended up taking the tent down before it blew away at 02:00
Not much fun on the roof of a landrover in pitch black during a bloody gale

I got a few hours sleep in the truck and heading home the next morning ... at least I got one fish :D

Andy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Excellent report Andy!! Shame about the weather!! Nice 90 btw

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's a cracking set-up with the Landy and tent etc. Worth the trip for that sea-trout - I would love one like that!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice Trout Andy and a cracking fly. Shame about the weather..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts