The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught these a few nights ago from the pier in Torquay . . . Had nothing for about 2 hours of ebbing tide, then I was just about to go home, when at midnight, these delicious beauties appeared in quick succession at midnight . . .

Then nothing for about 20 minutes, so I looked down over the wall and tight to the wall was the most enormous cuttlefish !! Not sure whether it had claimed it's territory and moved the squid off, but it seemed to command some respect !! (especially from me !) . . .

I noticed that 3 out of the 5 squid were following the jig in as I twitched through the water. It was only when I completely halted the retrieve for 5 or 6 seconds and gave a couple of tiny twitches that they grabbed the jig (fantastic to watch !). . The jig I used is the one pictured; the squid seemed a little wary of it. Just wondering if the other styles of jig are more effective ??

I had been out that day looking for bass with my new Red Luck Super but didn't have any joy . . a wily old seadog told me that the bass are late and a bit spooked because there are too many squid about !! Can this be true ?!!

I thought 5 would be enough for a few days munching, but as you can see my 2 year old son and 1 year old daughter love it as much as me. It's also incredible to discover how many friends you have when you catch fresh squid !!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Cracking photo's Jerry....never mind mate I'm sure in the not too distant future you lad will be thinking same about you when you want to eat some of his catch...Won't be long...

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Lovely scoff for you and yours for a few days Jerry, i'm jealous! Keith and Kev are the ones to ask about the different jigs. There was a lot of mention of the squid scaring everything else off on here recently so looks like your crusty seadog was correct...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Well done. Did you leave the cuttlefish? They taste even better than squid IMO.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well done Jerry. There's a giant picture appearing in my head, of all the blanks I've endured on bait, never even considering the possible presence of squid/cuttle upsetting the party down below. How the new techniques have opened our eyes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts