The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you reckon to this comment about PE line suitability on the megabass site:-

Saltwater version of POPX. Its weight is set for saltwater use and hooks are made from special steel to fight tough bites from back sea bream and also from rusting. Tested with PE line, which is not known for good lure control, its every action on the water and casting distance have been studied in order to design this lure. The available colors are based on the past experiences

Do you think it is a translation error?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I think it is straight up. I have heard theory that soft rods and mono work a lure more naturally. Can't remember where?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Apparently some guys are not happy about the use of PE especially with surface baits, something to do with it's non stretch nauture when gently nudging a bait along. Also as the fish takes right on the surface there is no slack or bow in the line to be taken up and the strike can end up being snatchhy and pull the hooks out of the fish. Think you can be more subtle with mono due to the stretch.

Seen the comment pop up a few times on US bass sites.

Realistically though braid is so much better for so many other things and I can't see people carrying two rods or changing spools..

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
As Dave says above I can see if you are fishing for a fish that was gentlely sucking a surface bait off the surface rather than smashing them. Then the added strech of mono might allow the fish to suck the bait into it's mouth easier. How ever I would image that it would also allow for more deeply hooked fish.
Has to be said that the reason why many japanese rods have a softer tip section is for the same reason, So the tip gives as the fish takes the lure (or tries to), So not sure that mono AND a japanese rod would be a good combination??

Reactions: Andy K

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Turning into an interesting thread isnt it, got me thinking....

I wonder how often, and how powerful the sucking in of a surface lure is, and how important it is to allow the bass to inhale with some slack or a soft tip. My lines these days are alot tighter than they used to be, and conecting with surface fish has been difficult this year. Maybe I am looking into it too much.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Very subjective I would think. Certain types of lure fishing seems to suit flourocarbon rather than braid and vice versa. If we were to carry a rod rigged for every style of fishing we do, no doubt we would have rods rigged with mono, flouro and braid. But we don't and for those that fish one rod most of the time braid takes some beating.

Another point is that Japanese translation sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, often misleading, often comical. So who knows if that is what they really meant.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
I took as when they actually tank tested the lures at the beginning of development they used monofilament lines and not PE.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
A big problem with japanesse as a language in transaltion is a single pictogram could mean a complete sentence in english they have never translated well. Take a japanesse form of poetry called "HAIKU".
This can not be translated into any other language other than japanaesse as it loses all of the "seasons" meaning in tranlation.
As for the mono versus braid quesion i will throw this into the mix when fly fising the rivers i needed the mono or fluoro leader to give on a take with a small bron trout dry fly fishing if i didnt have the give then i would lose too many fish. Though the takes between braid and mono leaders on lure fishing i have seen no difference from flies to lures thus far. Surely the 3ft of flurocarbon should loow a slight stretch with our leaders anyway? If fly fishing i may use a 25ft leader! for presentation only.
Now i start lure fishing with mono still on the reels and hated it went to braid and imrovment almost immediately.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think a lot of it is just to do with the guides used on them Nick. They're rung with PE guides, which are lower, smaller and angled to reduce loops and straighten the cast. They work a treat and make casts super, super smooth! I have them on my Daiwa. I have the standard Argento too, and a couple of GL LRF rods- all things of beauty!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nylon is also preferred for fishing crankbaits and fibreglass rods are even used to reduce the jerk effect of braid and a fast action rod. When a fish hits a small crankbait armed with treble hooks the hold achieved by them most likely won't be as deep as that with a single so a soft rod and stretchy line are used to allow the fish to take the lure deeper and to soften up the hook set.

Also fine trebles on cranks take a lot less power to set than on a plastic with a big single and the hits are less likely to be as subtle.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It seems that some Japanese Manufacturers are including specific PE style rods in their range ...... see an example of a rod I was recommended below:-

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/en/g_rod/argentoex/goaexs_862l_pe.html

Maybe the blanks are different to the "standard" JDM plugging rod?
Nope, as Ben says there is normally no difference in the blank whatsoever. Many Japanese manufacturers, such as Graphiteleader and Major Craft, have two versions (both standard rod rings and the so-called PE low-rider guides) of exactly the same rods.

I do indeed like the low-rider guides fitted on rods aimed at hard baits, but are not too fond of them on soft plastics rods. They are heavier than traditional one-legged guides and combined with the fact that they require more whipping it all dampens the blanks ability to transfer vibrations i.e. you miss a lot more of the subtle takes.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I wonder .......how important it is to allow the bass to inhale with some slack or a soft tip...
On some days letting a bass inhale an SP is essential. It is frustrating sometimes, but if you can remotely get the hang of it and be patient......

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
On some days letting a bass inhale an SP is essential. It is frustrating sometimes, but if you can remotely get the hang of it and be patient......
Agreed and more so with topwater hard lures.

I also firmly believe that PE lines, topwater lures and stiff tipped rods do 'not' let the lures work properly.
softer, even glass rods are better IME and opinion. how many times have you (anyone reading this), as a topwater man missed boils, rises and so called slashes at topwaters.
this happens underwater too, you just aren't 'seeing it'. It's all because the fish aren't getting 'time'. This was a much rarer occurance in the days of mono i think.

However, mono used with rods of old had their own issues didn't they.
Modern glass, or, softer tipped Jap style suzuki rods with PE work just fine IF you give the lure 'Time'. Not many do.

This is one area where 'real, proper' pencil popping can make itself heard over modern styles.

Just to clarify...
I too love PE guides on hard lure sticks but struggle with them a little HRF.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Totally agree with you Keith, stiff fast actioned "Euro" style rods and topwater hardbaits can be a frustrating combination-especially for newer pluggers.
My DemonBlood, although a powerful rod has a nice soft tip, which allows the bass to inhale the lure, but not deeply swallow it. I have noticed a dramatic increase in better hook holds too-Lip/corner of the mouth. Over the stiffer rods I have used in the past where it was often deeply swallowed (giving them too much slack/time) or "just" hooked ( winding into the weight, a bit too quick).
Still think that many people would do better by slowing down when working topwaters, hard to do when you are getting boils. But often means the difference between "on for a second and gone" and landing a bass.

·
Registered
323 Posts
every jap rod i have has pe rated on it makes it easey to match the reel and line to it no point in putting a luvius on a pe 5-8 rod and running 65lb line through it
i also have the lighting bolt sticker on them makes me feel so safe???

·
Registered
357 Posts
Turning into an interesting thread isnt it, got me thinking....

I wonder how often, and how powerful the sucking in of a surface lure is, and how important it is to allow the bass to inhale with some slack or a soft tip. My lines these days are alot tighter than they used to be, and conecting with surface fish has been difficult this year. Maybe I am looking into it too much.
Are you using a 6' leader with your Injection ****? It seems to make a big difference for me especially with 8 strand PE.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Me and Kev had this discussion just the other night...

Freshwater Bronze Bream:

Suckers, just like Bass.
Anyone who has fished for these fish will know that on the feeder especially, maggots can be 'blown' up the hooklength over a foot.

Try doing that ?

Bass create a huge vortex by comparision.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts