The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the first of our two open comps this weekend.

Poor tides for some reason chosen. 27 degrees yesterday no wind no swell, could it get any harder. Not a fish yet for me and only 7 weighed in over the 4lb minimum for 60 odd anglers.

Going again tea time, comp ends Monday at 9pm...

It's sooooo hot........

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cant you fish at night in the comp Andy ? I would have thought that a bit of night-time HRF would be your Trump-Card :?:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's the first of our two open comps this weekend.

Poor tides for some reason chosen. 27 degrees yesterday no wind no swell, could it get any harder.

It's sooooo hot........
Wow thats some sea temprature you've got over there Andy :-D.

Conditions seem more favourable today, go get 'em.

Best of luck

Gary

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Cant you fish at night in the comp Andy ? I would have thought that a bit of night-time HRF would be your Trump-Card :?:
I agree. Nothing really happening here Bass wise for me in daylight hours.
Night time is like someone has emptied a large bucket 'O' Bass into the sea.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So comp weekend is still not over. Still got tomorrow but I have to go to work. tomorrow evening will be a last gasp attempt at a weigher...

Met a couple of the lads this afternoon and several of the bait guys have fished solid since Friday night with no fish to show for it.

I gave it a go late this afternoon into early evening. not long back. Tides are not good for the marks I know to fish into dark so I am not wasting brownie points.

Rocky mark, bit of swell finally working off the coast giving a bit of white water.

Decided to go on the HRF approach, back to basics and what I am good at. Fishing over rough ground but not wanting to catch wrasse I left the goby lures in the bag and went with a 5" salty senko in motor oil. Pretty good match for the rocks and weed in the area.

Weightless, 5/0 texan hook weedless, amazing distance on the cast, they cast so well. I've fished senko's all winter for pollack and decided to give them a bash on the bass after Keiths posts.

First cast, OTD take and fish on!!! Feels like a good fish, giving it legs and not going to ground made me think it was a bass rather than wrasse but unseen as it took at range, and then suddenly a good 30 seconds in it dropped the hook???!! :shock: Bar Stewards.

2nd cast, let it drop the stated a twitching shaky sort of retrieve and again... Fish on!!

This time it came to the surface in classic bass fashion and started to thrash about, then some more runs and head shaking but he came in nicely in the end.

Senkobass.JPG

Here's a close up. Very well hooked.

Senkobass2.JPG

Shame it was only about 2lb.

I was now being pushed back by the tide and unable to cast to the reef I was aiming at and several casts with no action I got impatient and on goes a Feed Shallow 128 in some brown colour. Can't remember what the code is. Again to match the hatch as it were.

After a couple of casts I had another fish on, peas in a pod.

bass2.JPG

This went on for the next 3 casts, a fish a cast but all "clones". I had attracted a small audience of 2 lads who were interested so I talked them through what I was doing. They seemed interested but they were bad luck and I didn't catch again as I was pushed even further back by the swell with a big rock blocking my casts to the target zone. Time for a move.

Well actually turned into two moves and working with SP's, both the senko on sloww fall and trotting some big hammers with 7g heads along a rip tide created by the surf. Remember that surf creates a rip tide, you don't need to have a big cross tide to find movement of water to work an SP in this manner.

I fished on til I got the call and no more fish, I could see a big shoal of mullet working at range, scythe like tails and humps showing on the surface and the odd jumping fish. I tried round the edges with lures in case of a bass with the shoal which is often the case but not this time.

Can't really complain at a 5 fish session... can I sticky tape them together and weigh them that way?? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Brilliant Andy.

Senko's are fast becoming a 'go-to' lure for me as well.
Cheap as chips and very, very effective.

5 fish ? You can't complain m8. Well played.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Good-man !!! Keep it up Andy !! My money would still be on you to come up trumps :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts