The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was another open competition this weekend, but not a bass or lure one. A species specimen hunt (i.e. as many species as you can but over certain weights e.g. 1lb mackerel, 5lb bass, 4lb pollack etc).

I decided to give it a go with the lures LRF and HRF and also the big lure rod in the deeps. Lots of experimenting with some new home design lures which may have dented catches but no excuses, I was a very bad angler!!

Very late Saturday or maybe very early this morning I dropped 2 bass within a few minutes of each other while fishing very deep in some tide with a Sayori Shad, both got nearly all the way up before I dropped them.

Awful. I had had an invite to fish for something which I don't think eats lures, so i joined him fishing one bait rod and plugging away with the second.

And I caught my only proper fish of the weekend, and a PB, but it was on a lb of mackerel with a 7oz grip lead, and I can tell you that casting a 13ft Suveron with a lb and a half of weight on the end is a serious effort when i've not fished a big rod in 18 months!!

conger1.JPG

He was in size when we weighed him at 2am this morning but by the 10am weigh in it only went 19-14-0. 2 ounces short of the minimum weight. Gutted, especially carrying it back in my rucksack all the way from the back corner of our land reclamation over the boulders.

I also hooked the beast out in the tide, he wasn't coming to play and glad I didn't hook him on the Vale Tudo which I was using for the lures, my suveron was looped over like a #4 fly rod and line peeled off til he bit me off. LRF I reckon!!

I kept it in a tank of water overnight as they are supposed to be hardy fish but he croaked so will be eaten instead.

I did have another go with the lures this afternoon and early evening and I was outfished by my 6 year old son who had 2 pollack on sandeel to my one, and his were bigger than mine,

No excuse. bad angling!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Great report Andy

I like to fish for Congers at winter time and it will be the only time I will use a beach caster unless we have a run of codling in October and I will have a dabble for them using peeler.

What was in it,s stomach ? (not counting the ib Mackerel)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was very black but it was from some heavy ground, there was one of 42lb weighed in this morning which was very pale, almost sandy as well as light grey.

Stomach was near empty, a small rockling and half a chancre (brown crab).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts