The Lure Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I've never tried fly fishing in my life but I find it a very attractive techique, sure it must be difficult but I've wanted to try it for ages and finally I have a change.

A friend of mine lent me a rubbish rod (8 feet) for 6 weight line from the Powee? brand, and a rubbish reel from Plaway (for 6-7 line).

I've bought a spool of Scientific Anglers Aerocell floating #6 WF line and a bunch of flies that imitate a bread crumb.
I know that to the most of you guys this flies must suck, but for a beginner like me, I have to learn to cast first hehe

There are loads of mullets in the docks and avenue in my home city and I want to try to catch one of them with the fly gear, just to feel the fight on a fly tackle.

What's the best way to get them with the bread crumb flies? Throw some bread first into the water?

I appreciate your answers and help, and remember I'm just a beginner that wants to feel it's first fish on fly tackle ^^

Regards!

·
Registered
346 Posts
First thing to do is make a reservation in a crazy house.
Also mullet fishing can be very expensive if somebody with a swear box is standing anywhere near you.
finallly be prepared to be out smarted by a fish.

Good luck ;-)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hmmm first step for me fly fishing was casting lessons - bit harder over in Portugal!

its worth learning the basics on grass or on the beach first - I am guessing the mullet can be fairly close and roll casted too?

couple of sites worth visiting for learning to cast;
http://www.sexyloops.com/
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1663_fly-fish.html

I guess it would be worth groundbaiting with bread / water mix then introduce little bits of bread the same size as the fly ... happy hunting!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Pedro,
i have caught alot of mullet on the fly and yep you are right , the fight is something else!
With the idea to about throwing bread to them is a fantastic idea, however mullet as everyone knows are a spooky fish, so may i suggest that you feed the water with bread for a few days before you start, this will give the mullet confidence that this is a safe place to feed.
My secret to catching them was some white deer hair on the hooks shaved into a square and then soaked into strawberry flavouring.
Also every few cast u should feed the water with bread , because the the flyline will make a noise no matter how smooth u can lay it on the water,
Mullet are the chub of the sea, but they are a spooky as the common brown trout.
Good luck

·
Registered
884 Posts
wish you all the luck in the world! get your casting sorted first. feed the mullet and plop the fly in among them and hope for the best! been there so many times over the years and I,m still hoping...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys thanks for the replies! Great info!

As for the casting, I'll have a friend of mine who fly fishes for some years giving me some practical lessons.

The mullet here is really, really thick and in large numbers, let's hope their not that spooky, at leats they are caught in huge numbers by coarse? (I don't know if this means float fishing) fishermans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts