Coneheads / worm weights for Wrasse fishing | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Coneheads / worm weights for Wrasse fishing

Discussion in 'LRF / HRF Tackle & Lures' started by {name}, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Blanker

Does anybody know a good place to get these from? I've always used either tungsten or lead ones in the past but all the ones I seem to be able to find now are lead free and much bigger for the weight as a consequence. Am after 5,7 and 10gram if anybody can help? Cheers Rob

2. Wrasse

Agm discount fishing lots of wrasse goodness on there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Perch

+1 for AGM. Excellent customer service too.

4. Salmon

Have a look on coarse fishing sites, look for 'olivettes'. They are small streamlined inline weights, often made of tungsten. I use some Maver ones in 3g and they are great. I also use Tungsten putty, which is designed for carp rigs. It really helps when you need to add just another gram or two. You can add it to an existing split shot/olivette/cone, or even on the shank of the hook.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sandeel

Agm definitely or cammo tackle in Germany

6. Minnow

AGM do tungsten ones which will be even smaller than lead.

7. Sandeel

After googling 'olivettes' to see what they looked like, I ordered some 0.9gram off the bay. Perfect for LRF so many thanks for the tip Mark!

8. Sandeel

9. Sandeel

Have you ever considered chebarushkas ?. Andy McKay on eBay and Wsf forum is class for all leads and Dustybin is also class on the nesa forum

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sea Trout

Wrasse fishing by its very nature is a tackle hungry game. For that reason I don't use cone leads. As I don't do lrf (I only fish for wrasse so I'm hrf all the way), I use these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191390226133

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sandeel

I would suggest that cone heads are perfect for Hrf. The very nature of cones makes them ideal for senko's or similar

12. Sea Trout

They might be ideal to us for senkos, but to a fish? I doubt it, hence why I don't use them. IMO

13. Sandeel

Well that's what's good about forums people getting different opinions. Most of my fishing these days is in Norway due to work and the ballans are class although you can virtually catch them on anything as you'll know. Wrasse are slightly different to a lot of fish even if they are not on the feed they will still attack a lure if you annoy them with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sea Trout

Yes totally agree, I think it's 90% territorial aggression that gets bites, and most SPs will catch, although I prefer my SPs to wiggle and/or vibrate, I don't really use senkos type SPs

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pollock Supporting Member

Mainly a cost issue due to losses Mike. I buy those leads you use from Decathlon when I am in Europe, as they are an illegal size in the UK ( I thought anything under 1oz lead shouldn't be sold here! As he's sussex based is he breaking the law, or is the law just about use of smaller leads in freshwater, not their sale if used in the sea?) Whatever the situation here, Decathlon sells all sizes cheap as chips.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  16. Pike

I don't think the legislation discriminates. Since 1986, lead fishing weights of between 0.06 and 28.35 grams (No.6 shot to 1oz) have been banned from sale and use for the purpose of weighting fishing lines in the UK. Still easy to find leads between these weights though.

17. Pollock Supporting Member

Pushing his luck selling them on the bay then.............

18. Sea Trout

Just to put the record straight, I've rung David Mitchell of The Angling Trust (if anyone should know, they should) and asked him if there are any restrictions using leads under 1oz in the sea. The answer is NO, there are NO restrictions for using ANY size of lead weights in the sea.

There are restrictions for use in freshwater however, as we know.

Hope this helps

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wrasse

Lead shot are still readily available in the "banned" sizes, even in the UK. The vendors usually have some sort of disclaimer stating that the use of these are prohibited. What you do with them after purchasing is entirely up to you....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

20. Pike