The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Great Video Vidar,
Oh to be able to cast like that, the pitches under the trees and dock are incredible. Would be awesome for pike and perch here.
Just goes to show the japanese obsession for trying to perfect whatever they do, can yield some great results.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Makes you wanna go out and find some trees to cast under dunnit! Water isn't even compulsory! :laserswords:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
No dilly dally light drag with that dude just horse em in there attack attack attack !!! :wackit:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m nowhere near as good as the guy in the video, but years of fishing the Thames from a boat using the same type of tackle have made me quit good at both flipping, pitching and skipping.

When you fish around structure from a boat this in an invaluable skill to have, and with the correctly balanced equipment it is not a difficult as it looks.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Oh yes it is......Oh no it isn't.......Oh yes it is

Ok, I miss the boat on the Thames Vidar, lets go play on the Gt Ouse instead.

·
Registered
716 Posts
A video like that costs a bit to make, very cool.......

Can you imagine if a UK based fishing tackle company grabbed the bull by the horns and started applying a bit of "rock and roll" to fishing here in England ? It's going to happen one day..............

·
Registered
133 Posts
That was awesome :jump:

I love baitcasting combo's and that is why. I can't cast as well as that though :wackit:
Inspiring though!

I will be hoping to use mine a lot this year.
****'s trying to sort me out a new rod at the moment for baitcasting

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
After seeing the Shimano.TV link that somebody put up a while back, I started exploting more of their videos and came across something similar a while back. I was amazed to see it being done at first with a spinning reel, then complete disbelief at watching a soft plastic being skipped about 15ft under a bush with a multiplier. VERY impressive to watch and ultimate respect.
I am sure a lot of line was sacrificed in learning that technique. Vidar, can you show me how it is done?!?!? Does anyone know if you need a particular type of lure to be able to do it?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Mike, nearly always a soft plastic lure mate, like you already said. I assume it being cylindrical would help? God knows. St Ouen or Vidar or Andy will know.

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgasiYEIZmw

I think the man in Vidars video is Toshi Namiki. He's the owner and desinger of O.S.P lures. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

And Henry, you are soooooooooo right. Imagine if we had companies here more forward thinking and ready to risk a few quid to produce some glitzy/blingy/mouthwatering plugging footage for blokes like us. It would even entice fisherman from all other forms of angling I reckon.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Think part of the problem in this country is that we're all so blimmin' ugly!! :lol: :muttley:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Bassorama said:
Mike, nearly always a soft plastic lure mate, like you already said. I assume it being cylindrical would help? God knows. St Ouen or Vidar or Andy will know.
It would be a hollow bodied tube or a craw (with a round bum). Fished weedless no doubt and maybe with an insert weight. Fished on mono too. We use the little baitcasters when FW predator fishing from the boat but I've still so much to learn. You need little rods when there's two of you standing up and both fishing at the same time. Especially on the drift when the boats spinning too in the current. You have to be quick and decisive as to where you cast and be accurate too. My little 6'2" is too stiff for that kind of work in the video and I've been thinking about a light weight one for a while now. So so want to flick and skip some more this year, it's such a buzz.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As my Daughter just said Wicked Vid....... Shes 15 & found it cool, first time she has ever mentioned fishing and cool in the same sentence. This sort of advertising would open up lure fishing to a whole new audience.

The only downside, cant stop thinking if that was me, the trees would resemble christmas trees & my wallet empty :lol: .

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think that has great potential in two places (for me). First of all chub fishing. Getting a soft plastic up against the bank under trees has to be worth the effort. The second is for bassing in and around marinas. How many times have you seen somewhere that looks excellent but there are mooring ropes in the way. This gives us another option.
On the tackle front, Andy, do you think a 6ft 2in rod is too long in your (Vidar's) boat or all the time? I think that the video is to promote a Daiwa Steez Machinegun baitcasting rod. There are two of them and they are both 6ft 6in. I have a few baitcasters and will experiment when we get some better weather to see if any them are better than the others.
I agree with the use of mono. I am sure there will be plenty of birdsnests to unpick while learning. One thing I have noticed recently is that very few of the freshwater bass anglers seem to use braid on baitcasters or spinning reels, preferring mono or flourocarbon. With saltwater it seems the opposite.

Andy, Vidar, anyone(!) any recommendations on soft plastics and weighted hooks to get me started?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike Kennard said:
I think that has great potential in two places (for me). First of all chub fishing. Getting a soft plastic up against the bank under trees has to be worth the effort. The second is for bassing in and around marinas. How many times have you seen somewhere that looks excellent but there are mooring ropes in the way. This gives us another option.
On the tackle front, Andy, do you think a 6ft 2in rod is too long in your (Vidar's) boat or all the time? I think that the video is to promote a Daiwa Steez Machinegun baitcasting rod. There are two of them and they are both 6ft 6in. I have a few baitcasters and will experiment when we get some better weather to see if any them are better than the others.
I agree with the use of mono. I am sure there will be plenty of birdsnests to unpick while learning. One thing I have noticed recently is that very few of the freshwater bass anglers seem to use braid on baitcasters or spinning reels, preferring mono or flourocarbon. With saltwater it seems the opposite.

Andy, Vidar, anyone(!) any recommendations on soft plastics and weighted hooks to get me started?
Mike,

Skipping is easiest performed with lures that have a relative high surface to weight ratio, such as jigs fitted with trailers and soft plastic either rigged weightless or with relative small jig heads.

A rod around the 6.6 feet mark, plus minus a few inches, with a relative fast tip is ideal, but much more important is the reel and the line. Braid can be used but it is essential that it is not too low diameter, which will make the line dig into itself and restricting line flow thus setting you up for the backlash of the century.

If you are new to pitching and skipping you will find a reel with a magnetic braking system (Daiwa bait casting reels) easier to use as you can instantly adjust the braking force by turning the adjustment wheel on the side. I would start with the magnetic braking set to max, but with minimal or no mechanical braking implemented. This will ensure maximum line control during the cast and help to avoid and overrun when the lure slows down because it hits / skips on the water surface. I can and have used Shimano reels fitted with a centrifugal braking system for these techniques, but that is really for the more experienced as it requires a huge amount of thumb control in order to avoid the dreaded backlashes.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Don't know what all the fuss is about - looks easy to me!! :badlol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.