The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Cormoran Black Star 9pif for my 7' Bushwhacker, but I'm not sure which size to order. I'm looking at the 2500 and 3000 sizes. I intend to use it with a maximum of 0.19 (13kg) Power Pro and probably lighter lines in the future.

I already have a Shimano Exage 4000 FB on my Quantum Energy Bass with 0.23 Power pro, if that makes any difference. I'm looking for something smaller than the Exage, but the 3000 Cormoran appears to be only a little smaller than 4000 Exage.

Would the 2500 Cormoran take a full reel of 0.19 (135m) Power Pro nicely, allowing for the 2mm underfill with braide line?

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Tones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
23 views and no replies? Was it something I said?

Maybe I should rephrase the question.

Is a 2500 size Daiwa/Cormoran reel appropriate for bass lure fishing?
Will a 2500 size Daiwa/Cormoran reel take a full reel of 0.19 Power Pro?
Is a 2500 size Daiwa/Cormoran reel similar in size to a 3000 Shimano reel?

Thanks again,
Tony.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Lol Tone.

2500 Daiwa will be fine for the lighter side of bassin'. I mostly use a Steez 2508 on my lighter rod and a Bradia 2500R on my heavier one. You may prefer a 3000 though for the heavier side of plugging. The 2500 Cormoran should be fine on the BW. Spool capacity wise I can only imagine that it should take the braid easily enough. If it doesn't have diameters stated in the specs, 0.19 is likely to be something around 5lb mono if it talks about b/s instead. It'd have to be a very small reel usually to only take 135 of 5lb. So the 2500 should be fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply - I was starting to wonder if I smelt funny!! I did have my hands on some mackerel yeaterday, but that's a different story.

May I ask what size or breaking strains of line are you using? What do you consider to be heavy or light?

Thanks again,
Tony.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yep, I'm using the Daiwa Tournament braid at the moment in 15lb and 35lb. Bear in mind it's much finer than PP though.

I'm not sure if the Daiwa and Cormoran sizes are 100% the same but on the Daiwa 2500 spool, I have 150m of the 35lb Tournament plus a tiny bit of backing. Which I guess confirms that 135 of PP should be fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys.

****, would a spool of 0.19 PP fill the 3000 nicely. If I upgraded to one of the new super braids, would I need to use backing? Also, how low in diameter should/could I go for shore bassing using 10-30g shallow divers and surface lures?

All the best,

Tones

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
3000 sized reels will become the standard in coming years.

2500's are becoming a standard for me on shorter, lighter rods.

I want PE spools now though. I refuse to buy any more reels that are built for mono.
Unless I break one and need a replacement.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Way shallower Simon.
Different lip profiles too, designed for braid.

Line lays are likely more optimised for PE too.

No more mono backing and extra weight. Or knots getting in the way of really light PE braids.

0.8 and below is an issue because, 100 meters of braid might not completely bury the join knot.

Anyway, who ever got into their backing recently ?

Again....

It's a case of.. the UK boys can make do. Yet, in reality, most all lure anglers today fish braids and have for some time.

You buy a 2500 or 3000 sized reel and it will state...

120 meters of PE 0.8 or 100 meters of PE #1 etc.

Way better IMHO.

I'm going to change over very shortly. All my spools are too deep and carrying dead bulk.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Are these currently only available in Japan ? Do all the normal manufacturers make them ?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I use a couple of 2500 size Certates and a Branzino 3000. For most of my fishing the Branzino holds more line than I will ever need but the extra weight does balance 'bigger' or heavier rods better. My 'bigger' rods is a RLSD. Most of the time I am using a 2500 on a lighter rod, the lighter rods being 7ft (ish).
If you are after a braid spool for a Certate or similar they are available as a spare spool though Daiwa UK will likely not have any. For 2500s they sell a spool designnated 2506 or 2508. These hold 100M of 6lb or 8lb mono respectively and are more suited to braid capacity. You will need to know the accurate diameter of your braid or use trial and error/advice to know which one fits your line needs best. Mono backing works well if you use an ordinary spool though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Daiwa Exeler 2500, lovely reel, I understood the 3000 was the same chassis with a bigger spool so went for the 2500. I filled mine up with one spool of Varivas Super PE 7.5kg didnt need any backing. Having said that I did mean to order the 9kg but had finger trouble and clicked on the wrong size, oops.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Lots of food for thought, but I'm now more confused than before. I was going to stick with PP for a while, but maybe I should investigate these PE lines. I'm not sure about pink though. Anyone know if there is a high vis yellow available? Also, can anyone suggest some reels (or previous thread) designed specifically for braid and/or PE braid? Preferably not at Certate prices.

Getting back to my original question(s), the Cormoran Black Star 2500 has a stated capacity of 125m of 0.25 diameter line, the 3000 has a capacity of 170m of 0.28. Anyone know what these figures equate to in terms of 0.20 line? Perhaps you have a 2500 0r 3000 reel with the capacities written on the side.

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jon,

What lure is that in your avatar? It looks like just the colour combination that I'm after at the moment.

Tony.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Lots of food for thought, but I'm now more confused than before. I was going to stick with PP for a while, but maybe I should investigate these PE lines. I'm not sure about pink though. Anyone know if there is a high vis yellow available? Also, can anyone suggest some reels (or previous thread) designed specifically for braid and/or PE braid? Preferably not at Certate prices.

Getting back to my original question(s), the Cormoran Black Star 2500 has a stated capacity of 125m of 0.25 diameter line, the 3000 has a capacity of 170m of 0.28. Anyone know what these figures equate to in terms of 0.20 line? Perhaps you have a 2500 0r 3000 reel with the capacities written on the side.

Thanks again,

Tony.
Tony I have just emailed this question to myself so tomorrow if If have time I will have a play with both the reels and line on the rod and see what feels best and loads the line best. Just an after though, a mate of mine used a 2500 reel for a couple of years and since he moved up to a 4000 size reel he recons his catch rates have gone down....maybe he is reeling in faster than he used to....?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi ****,

Did you ever get around to trying out the two reels? Which size Black Star do you think would be best for my 7' Bushwhacker and would I need to use backing with 0.19 PP? I'm now thinking of switching to Powershot in either 15 or 20lb for bass. Any thoughts?

I would rather not use backing and I would prefer a smaller reel that would also be good for lighter lines for smaller fish.

Any other ideas of a good braid reel for bass that could take a full spool of 15-20 lb braid without backing? Preferably not too expensive.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

All the best,

Tony.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Sorry I forgot to let you kow my findings the next day Tony. I am afraid I am not much use to you, I went to check the 2500 & 3000 Black Star and then realised I didnt have one, I only have the 3500 and its really big, like a proper 4000. Then I thought I would see how reels felt on a 7ft Bushwacker and then realised I didnt have one of them either!! So I am afraid I dont know, but as it goes for a reel that hold exactly a spool of line....again sorry mate I cant think of any off hand....well I remember my Shimano Rarenium 4000 took a complete spool of 1.5 PE YGK GesoX perfectly without any backing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts