The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rod arrived this morning from Mrfish ordered last Wednesday so good service. Its a nice understated rod brown blank gold tipped brown whipping nice. Sorry but I dont like flashy colored rods. Nice cork gripps looks like grade AAA cork only a little filler in it not bad in this day and age. Lightweight single legged rings. One small gripe about the rings though, the tip ring and the top three rings are so small( more like the rings on a quivertip) the line clip will not fit though. So it will mean tying on a new clip everytime its used.

As for the lure ratings 8-45g IMO the top end is a bit ambitious most likely 35g would be more like it. The bottom end can handle 5g no problem. Not tried this on the water yet so I could be wrong. Test casted with it on the local field so its just first impressions!

So in conclusion a nice rod pleasing understated cosmetics very good finish as good as some rods costing twice as much. Oh I forgot to say it cost £80. Will post again when it has been used in anger on some of are local Pike and Perch and with a bit of luck a trip for the bass.
thats it for now.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Dave. Be interested to see one of those myself. Re: eye size, although not so convenient, smaller guides will allow for a smoother flow of braid on the cast. Checkout rods with PE guides - angled and small. In use you can feel the difference they make.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hi Dave

The eye size is a standard thing. Allows for better rod performance which is obviously more desirable than getting a clip through. I leave my clips on, I just unclip lure, fold rod in half and reel the clip gently up to the rod tip, and elastic band together.

I look forward to hearing your impressions on fishing with it though, as I have to choose a plug rod for a mate of mine that wants to spend £80ish.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Does anybody else have any experience of it? Just trying to decide between Quantum Energy Bass 240 and the Cormoran TR4 240 as an out and out hard lure rod. He is currently using a rod designed for Salmon I think, its 9ft and weighs about the same as a horse. I let him have a cast on my Major Craft Saltic last night and a new rod cannot come quick enough for him now!

PS. Dave, sorry for the minor hijack, and here's hoping you can get the rod christened soon

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry to turn this into a Quantum thread, but I have the EB 240 and I think that the casting weight is a bit heavy. It's great for 30g poppers but doesn't seem to load well with sub 20g lures. I would estimate the casting weight as 20-60g or 15-50g. Maybe my braid is a bit heavy and maybe my casting is a bit rubbish, but that's my impression. I bought a 7' 10-30g Bushwacker and it seems a better match to the lighter lures. It's nice to have both rods though.

Mark, I would suggest that your mate base his choice on the weight of the lures that he wants to use. So many of the posh lures are 10-20g and I think that there may be a better choice of rod out there in this price range. Maybe the cormoran would be more suitable. I'm sure that the Teklon Concept Spin and the Sakura Rookie are also worth considering, even though they're a little more expensive. Living in Jersey, I'm sure you know where to look.

I hope that this is of some help. It's not often that I have some experience that might be of benefit to others.

All the best,
Tony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts