The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Brilliant !

Many of the Jersey guys own one.
In fact, without using Paul B's very early this year, that vital jigsaw piece might still be missing regards LRF / HRF

Very good rod for reading the jig IMHO.

I have the 7ft version but have used both that and the longer one. Both are excellent.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Brilliant !

Many of the Jersey guys own one.
In fact, without using Paul B's very early this year, that vital jigsaw piece might still be missing regards LRF / HRF

Very good rod for reading the jig IMHO.

I have the 7ft version but have used both that and the longer one. Both are excellent.

Keith, what do you think of the stated casting weight (1-9 grams) of this rod: is it for real, or is it over- or underestimated? (Bought me a BW 3-18 228 for LRF/HRF and I'm not happy with it).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Stated rating is very good.

It'll cast and operate with....

1 X AAA shot + size 10 hook and 1" thin SP carolina thru.... 6g head with tiny Xlayer. so very close to all up stated 9g.
Will stop fish upto and over 3lb in clear water but not loads of backbone. Strong enough though. I use 0.4 - 0.6 PE braids and/or 5lb FC straight through on mine.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Out of interest up to what sort of size of fish will these light rods handle???
After all you may be fishing for & catching 2lb pollack but what if a 10lber grabs the lure???

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They'll handle fish of up to 3lb or more Nigel with reasonable ease. You'll still have to play them though, which is most of the fun and something proabbly most people aren't really used to doing. If you're realistically expecting a 10lb fish then you should probably start off fishing a little heavier, but landing a 10lb fish should still be possible on a rod like this is you have a bit of luck - that and the head to play it properly. Kind of like on the other thread at the moment, you can fish heavy and not catch so many fish in the first place - constantly dreaming that the next fish you catch is going to be an absolute monster, or you can fish for and enjoy the fish that are in front of you. I like playing fish as much as I enjoy landing them. Probably more so in fact.

Reactions: kevin pugh

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
good post Ben.

Look at what Pedro is using for those monsters down in Portugal and tell me most blokes up here aren't completely overgunned.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
good post Ben.

Look at what Pedro is using for those monsters down in Portugal and tell me most blokes up here aren't completely overgunned.
Yes I accept that we are 99% of the time fishing too heavy tackle, lines etc but what if you do catch a bigger than expected fish can the rod handle it.
I was spinning with an ugly stick 8' spinning rod (years ago) & hooked a small pollack, as I brought the pollack alongside the pier to lift it up a conger of around 30 lb plus grabbed the pollack. A short tussle ensued & very soon my 8' pride & joy became a 7' broken ugly stick.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If your drag is set right, that won't, can't happen.

You can land huge fish on 5lb class gear. Freshwater anglers have landed plenty of big fish on gear far less powerful.
It's called playing the fish and using a bit of skill.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's a bit hard to tell Nige without seeing the fight. You may not do the same now but if it happened to me now then I'd probably blame myself. These rods naturally have less lifting power and if pushed too hard, I guess would buckle. Playing fish on light lines wouldn't involve pulling back anywhere near that hard though.

P.s. I'm also a believer in the fact that the harder you fight a fish the harder it fights back. Like I've just seen Keith mention about freshwater anglers, I caught large carp on the pole for years, on light and heavy tackle. The fight they put up against stronger tackle may be shorter, but it's also much more aggressive. Hook the sanme fish on light tackle and the fight will be longer, but with less forceful aggression from the fish.

Reactions: kevin pugh

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I agree Keith, but just to play devil's advocate......... if you've been brought up playing and landing big coarse fish on light gear then that's fine. If you haven't then you might not want to take the risk, even if you accept that you might not catch as many fish as you would on light gear. The task we face is to convince the non-believers that they can scale down.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Paul:

This is why I advocate 10lb braid and a mid powered rod for starters.
In winter this didn't matter so much so I encouraged guys to go full LRF to catch fish.

This area we are discussing is the MRF range. A middle powered rod, maybe 3.5 - 15g rod with 10lb braid or 0.8 PE 8 carrier.
The next rod up, the cormoran ULF fits that range. The Shimano beastmaster dropshot 3.5 - 28 with 0.8 is also awesome and has stopped loads of good Bass.
The Silver Shadow is even more sensitive than that, rated higher and again, I've stopped about 3 7-- 8lb plus fish on that rod with YGK 0.8 and PE #1

The latter 2 rods bend but have serious stopping power used correctly. I wouldn't lift anything heavy on any of them though..
LRF / HRF isn't about lifting stuff out on winch gear.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi guy's, Thinking of purchasing a Cormoran ULX 1-9gm. What lenght should i get, who has one and how good or bad are they, any other suggestions would be help full.
Hi Sam, I've been really pleased with mine. I bought the 7' rod, I had a wiggke with both rods and I don't really know why, but the 7 footer just felt more right.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
If your drag is set right, that won't, can't happen.

You can land huge fish on 5lb class gear. Freshwater anglers have landed plenty of big fish on gear far less powerful.
It's called playing the fish and using a bit of skill.

Ahhh hindsight is a wonderful thing as is experience. It was 27 years ago when I broke my pride & joy, when I was still but a lad. But that painful moment still lives in my heart.
My drag is always set properly these days.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Injection is more the HRF side of MRF Alex.

This is why we are thinking of adding a LRF / HRF roadshow into the days before the Weymouth and the Jersey Bass festivals.
People can come along and see it all in action, try the rods etc..

It IS a minefield and **** has been very lucky, or good, to get a range of rods that don't really step on each others toes action wise.
Something for everyone.

With a 0.6 PE 8 carrier braid, the 7ft Shimano Dropshot will just, just handle mid - high range LRF'ing.
with a PE 1 -- 1.2 it manages to lean well into the HRF range.

Maybe this is why it 'was' my go to rod. Now, the Silver Shadow is that rod but maybe that is because I'm just so new to that blank and I'm getting to know it.

The line really can make the transition from LRF to MRF if the rod and reel's drag can protect it in fights.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts