The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our friends have a cottage in Port Isaac and so the plan was that I went down on Saturday (29th May) and spend a few days fishing and then pick up the wife and kids from Newquay airport on Tuesday afternoon. Thereafter fishing is banned and I play the 'good husband/dad'! I got down early Saturday morning and fished a local cove and picked up a nice fish around 3 ½ lb but I had left the camera behind. Doh! The following day I had a pollock from a different bay. Having previously posted a thread about potential marks in the area I had been contacted by Ben Field and we had an enjoyable evening session at a mark he suggested and he picked up a fish of around 1 ½ lb. Ben is a top fella and really knows his stuff and my grateful thanks to him for all his help and advice.

At the last minute I had arranged to go out with Nathan Taylor and on the Tuesday (very early) morning I discovered some real Cornish fishing! Having got to his mark I asked how we were to get down the cliff? 'We walk' he said laughing. I don’t mind a trek, I am used to that in Sussex but scaling a near vertical cliff face was something new! Whilst I am hanging on for grim death Nathan is bouncing up and down the cliff carrying rods and helping me - I just wasn’t looking down! Nathan is another who really taught me a lot and we had some fun with the pollock but a succession of seals kept the bass quiet despite a really 'bassy' looking mark. Nathan 'the Mountain Goat' Taylor led me (or carried me!) back up the cliff and off we went to another mark. Having survived my mountaineering, the pavement was my downfall. Returning from the second mark is when Nathan got sneaky! Walking back to the car, we crossed the road to the car park and Nathan saw his chance, having already noted that I was obviously athletically challenged! Nathan bounded over a 'high' wall of around 18 inches tall and of course I wasn’t going to duck the challenge. In my minds eye I leapt this huge obstruction with a couple of feet clear but in reality I launched into the air like a three legged badger, tripped on the wall and landed in a heap. If only the loud crack I heard had been my shin bone! My Sakura two piece was now a three piece! Nathan made a quick call and I was loaned a shiny new Tenryu, he knew that once I got my hands on it I was doomed. So £400 odd quid later and Nathans plan had worked! I blame him entirely as I told my wife later. The third mark was again accessed via a vertical drop but I was getting blasé about cliffs by then, it was pavements I am wary of. On the mark, I had a gentle take to a Feed shallow that then burst into life with a good run as a lively bass of between 5 to 6lb was eventually brought ashore. Between Robert (Nathans dad) and I we did our own form of catch and release as we wrestled with him at our feet but we had him so that counts! I have to say that fishing with Nathan (as well as others such as Ben Field, Dave Irving) is almost depressing as although I like to think that I am a reasonably competent all round angler, Nathan shows me how much I have to learn!! Nathan, Robert and Ian are a smashing bunch of guys that really put the effort into giving me a great day. I will be back in September guys, get the breakfast ready!!

I did get a chance to fish an evening later in the week (bless her!) and I hooked a fish that soon became clear was a very nice fish indeed. A strong run made even more impressive by the powerful surf. I got him in and I estimate he was around 6 - 7lb but unfortunately he slipped the hook of the Xlayer as I tried to beach him in the wild surf. I almost could have pounced on him as he lay beached for a split second but that surf was scary and I hesitated too long! Oh well, thats the downside of crushing the barbs and he would have gone back anyway. It still hurts though!

I had a great week, met some fine people and learnt a lot.

Back home with camera, the best photo is of the bruise on my shin! Anyone know where I can get a replacement bottom section for a Sakura Shukan?!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Sounds like you had an amazing time, I fancy a trip south too. You have been persuaded to buy red, which one did you buy and is it noticeably better than the Shukan?

Cheers

Hywel

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Andrew, I enjoyed reading that, I have fished with Nathan, Robert and met Ben in Nantes and they are top guys, shame about the rod but you managed to get a new Red one (great plan), Injuries heal, but great memories last a lifetime, well done :-D

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Fantastic write up mate, well done, I have fished with nathan a few times and you are right, he is a mountain goat and his dad is worse!! Great guys you were in good company there. Sorry to hear about the broken Shukan, I do have a spare butt section in my shop, what length is yours, 8ft6in or 9ft 6in? I think I have a section for the 86 version.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic write up mate, well done, I have fished with nathan a few times and you are right, he is a mountain goat and his dad is worse!! Great guys you were in good company there. Sorry to hear about the broken Shukan, I do have a spare butt section in my shop, what length is yours, 8ft6in or 9ft 6in? I think I have a section for the 86 version.
****, thanks for that. It is (or was!) the 8ft 6". Do you need me to send the top section over so you can check the fit?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Andrew,

Sounds like you had an amazing time, I fancy a trip south too. You have been persuaded to buy red, which one did you buy and is it noticeably better than the Shukan?

Cheers

Hywel
Hywel, it was the Super mix 240 on Nathans advice and it is impressive but I was always rather fond of the Shukan as it seemed to suit me!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Andrew, I hope we looked after you, when I took you out for a guided session. The first place was great that we went too, and it would have been a whole lot better if those seals had got lost.... sorry about that....doh.
It was great you had a good bass at the end though after trying to find them!! Very well done on the 6lb ish bass, that's a cracking fish!
Look forward to the next time your down.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Glad you had a good week Andrew, and Nath showed you the ropes! Shame about that last fish too. Bummer!

Come back soon.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I will see you later in the summer!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well done Andrew,
Great to hear you had such a good time with Nathan, Both Nathan and his father are excellent fishermen.
Well done on all the bass, a bit easier down west than sussex isn't it!!!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Well done Andrew a great report sounds like you had a great time down in Cornwall. Just a pity it was so costly for you.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well done Andrew.

Out of interest, what jig head were you using when you lost the fish on an Xlayer?
Hi Liam, I was using an Owner sled head 7g from ****. I was about to change to something heavier as the surf was just rolling up everything i tried. We get plenty of rough seas in sussex but I am not used to 'surf' and was struggling with the conditions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts