The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just had a fantastic time traveling around Devon and Cornwall in the camper van, A whole two weeks of sun, cider and plugging, oh and lobbing out softies LRF. Now Cornwall and Devon's green pastures and rolling hills certainly make Jersey look like one of Cinderella's ugly sisters, its totally breath-taking scenary and some fantatastic fishing grounds.

This was Rockham beach north Devon, it didn't come up trumps for me but you could see the huge potential, I spoke to some local anglers who were fishing this spot and they said that not a great deal was falling to lures..
From North Devon we trundled down to Boscastle and onto Padstow, just amazing fishing grounds. From Padstow we moved onto St Ives, the weather was fantastic with a beautiful gin clear blue sea.

LRF on the St Ives coast, huge boulder fields holding Wrasse and pollock. The most productive soft plastic of the trip was the zoom fluke tail, spiked.
this tiny pollock took a zoom in crystal clear water in full light. Sorry about the anglo-saxon tan hopefully you've eaten.
From St Ives we followed the coast around to the Lizard, wow what a fantastic place. Decided to fish right on the lizard point by the old life boat station. The target species of the session was Wrasse, the mark looked really good for it. Huge boulder fields and loads of ledges for the pigs to shelter under. From the first cast on the TR4 loaded with 8lb braid it was a constant knocking, something was hitting the fluke tail then whollop
fish on. The rod was bent at an impressive angle and the line running left to right, then nothing the fish Had gone to ground. I kept the tension on the line but did nothing after what seemed like an eternity the fish made another small run and i managed to get him to the surface...................................... Cornish WRASSTY on

After what was a fantastic scrap the fish was rested and returned, and I fished on. Again the knocks came thick and fast and another fish was produced, slighty smaller but again felled by a fluke tail and on the drop
. That day stood out as such a fantastic LRF session, I had put everything that Keith and Kev had taught me into practice in unfamiliar surroundings and come up trumps, cheers guys ( May need another picuture frame filling). When we stayed at the Lizard we camped at a great little campsite called Henry's campsite (www.henryscampsite.co.uk), the owners Jo and Ron were fantastic, Ron put me onto some great bass marks but I can't give away another mans marks, you'll have to ask him yourself. and finally this last photo should inspire you all to go

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Paul, pics and fish were superb :-D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Great read Paul! And pictures! Passing right by here though and not letting me know?! tut tut ;-) Would have given an arm and a leg to get my LRF rods out with a Jerseyman!! :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great read Paul! And pictures! Passing right by here though and not letting me know?! tut tut ;-) Would have given an arm and a leg to get my LRF rods out with a Jerseyman!! :p
sorry Ben it was a whistle stop tour , hoping to get over again in September. Your a lucky man to be living in such a Beautiful part of the country.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
sorry Ben it was a whistle stop tour , hoping to get over again in September. Your a lucky man to be living in such a Beautiful part of the country.
lol, no worries. You definitely covered a lot of ground. As you'll know, Cornwall is actually a bigger place than some people would think it was. Even in 2 weeks, if you want to see the whole thing (and Devon), you can't stop for long.

See you in September!! The shop'll be open by then so I'll be easy to find.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yes, good luck with the venture am a bit of a tackle tart so will be popping in.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good write up there m8

looks like you had a blast - and must be good to put you skills to new ground and catch a few wrasse.

Did you catch any cornish silver bars?

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
A very enjoyable report Jamo, and great pics.

It certainly is a beautiful part of the country for sure, and you were blessed with great weather too! Perfecto!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No unfortunately I didn't really have that much time. The girlfriend wasn't to happy about me dispearing at dusk and dawn.
Good write up there m8

looks like you had a blast - and must be good to put you skills to new ground and catch a few wrasse.

Did you catch any cornish silver bars?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Lovely report and some terrific pics. Well done on catching away from your home patch - shows the methods are sound!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Great report and some fantastic pictures Paul. Well doneI hope you enjoyed your time in Cornwall. I looks like you did.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice one Jamo. Beautiful pictures.
cheers Gary. would love to live there full time. Looking forward to be out on the boat this weekend am going to hammer those SP'S.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts