The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just been looking at Magic Seaweed for the swell heights at the weekend. I couldn't help noticing what it's predicting for Cornwall on Monday..........10 foot for Whitsand Bay, which I thought was big enough. I then looked at the North coast - Harlyn/Polzeath............................19 foot:shock::shock: The thought of a wave 6 metres high thundering towards me is frightening

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hmmmm, best polish off the gun(big surf board)!

Not ideal conditions eh, got next friday off so hopefully not too bad by then.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Oh dear..... :-o

That's my day off bu**ered then!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its gone up now, off the scale of the bar chart on msw........21.5ft now :-O. Frightening. If it turns out anything like they predict it's almost worth the trip down just to have a look

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was thinking the same Toby.
Have got to go a visit a client in Porthleven sometime soon & Mondays looking good!
Don't think I've got balls to put the board in the car though.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That has got to be the external swell height mate not the breaking height. in the atlantic this will be the height though shore break will be in the 4-6ft range with a decent backwash.
Still a bugger to wade in uless theres a good reef far out to ipact the wave before if hits shore breakers.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The local forecast was giving strong to gale south/south east winds for Monday (but a nice weekend), so I would guess that surfers are somewhat looking forward to that one..........Mike is right though, that is NOT the breaking wave height. Hawaii we are not !!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never said it was the breaking height Mike. Just repeating what MSW was reporting. Whilst I think that it is difficult to think that 21' waves would be breaking on the beaches at Harlyn etc I don't think that the breaking height is going to reduce by as much as you're talking about.....21' down to 6'??! MSW do say in all of the gumpf on their site that they do use open ocean data to estimate the swell heights local to each beach. I appreciate that swell & breaking wave height are 2 different things however in my experience, down at Whitsand Bay, MSW may have predicted 6-7swell & the breaking waves have been at least that high.

Anyhow it looks like it will be a monster sea down that way on Monday...................btw the current predicted swell height for Harlyn has reduced to 14.5' with 86% probability

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Big swells = big waves guys.

I do believe Jersey hold the record for Britains largest 'surfed' wave. 28ft or something over petit port reef.
Skishing is like zimmer framing by comparison.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Toby mate i never meant you said this was the breaking height on beaches? sorry if this was implied all i was infering was that the differential between external swell and shore break.
I have been wading in wetsuits with 6ft swell breakin and it really isnt easy so i gave up pretty quickly.
Magic seaweed give good forcast for distance htough they decrease dramaticly on the approach 20ft swell more often than not = 5-6ft shore break.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Big swells = big waves guys.

I do believe Jersey hold the record for Britains largest 'surfed' wave. 28ft or something over petit port reef
A guy I used to know called Scott Harbden(Jersey) had some photo's of huge waves over there mate.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
grab your board and wettie and leave your fishing rods to one side!
Sounds good Ritchie but I know from my experience of a surfing tour that I took whilst travelling that I'm crap at surfing. I had problems trying to stay on my board just sitting at the back of the waves :) :)Not my forte me thinks.............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts