The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had experience of the scent used on Xlayers being corrosive?

I was out this morning and used some new ones that I had pre-rigged only to find the jighead hooks rusting both in the Xlayer and outside it - these were new and hadn't previously been in the water but had been kept in original packets (rigged). Not sure if it's the scent or the type of superglue I've used to secure.

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Hmmmm i havent had that problem with mine. How long had they been pre-rigged for ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have some pre-rigged xlayers to and they are like that for over 9 months now. No sign of corrosion or what so ever, and these did have a swim in saltwater. Perhaps the xlayers don't respond well to glue? Mine aren't glued. The jigheads where i've put them on last year are the illex lightningheads. I do keep them in the original bag nicely sealed so the scent will not go away.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I can only put it down to the glue as I have had no issues under similar circumstances (I don't glue mine). It's not an issue of whether the glue is acidic but whether it is an oxidising agent which I couldn't establish from the Wikipedia entry.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Pre rigging is pointless if you want to progress in soft lure fishing. even 1g can make or break a session.
rusting/corrosion ? yes, when i did pre rig, it happened alot but, not with decoy or quality hooks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had this corrosion with prerigged birdy heads and bachi heads.

No probs with the illex heads mentioned or owner (action?) heads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Decoy heads I've pre-rigged have been fine - the rust has occured on the bigger Xorus heads (Big X & Triple action), have now un-rigged them & cleaned the heads up.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Would agree that the birdie,bachi and the big x have that rusty look to em as the illex dont seem to have that problem will be interested to see how few storm jiggers that we got hold out,

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
This is baffleing me, mine are fine. I read all of the link Harold put up about super glue and it doesnt say it reacts with any particular metal or plastic. Is there salt in certain colours of the Xlayer? I have noticed a rusty jighead before but presumed I had used it and put it back in the bag, and the hook was a bronze one anyway??

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's the salt in the x-layer's top layer

Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts